Braked or Non Braked - Re Post.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pucker

Reaction score
Ment to post this here on All Parker.

I am in the process of purchasing a trailer for my 1801.
I will most likely be pulling this with a V6 4-runner.

I have the option of purchasing one that is braked or one w/o. Both are approx. the same price, however the non-braked one is in basically brand new condition.

I am leaning towards the braked, just in case I go to a larger boat in the future.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

My only thought is that "if" (when) you get 2-foot-itis and want to go bigger, you might need the bigger trailer and 2nd axle, if you're only getting a single axle now.

If trailering a lot too, for any boat of any size, I know I myself would go for Kodiak SS brakes (with maybe electric actuation), aluminum I-beam trailer frame, bunks and rollers (depends on hull), and torsion suspension and not springs.

Remember, I don't trailer but 100' each way Spring/Fall, so my thoughts are from those I know who trailer a lot.

With trailers, you can never be "too big" but you sure can be sized "too small" ;) !

I tow several hundred miles each month with two different trailers and i cant tell you how many times i was glad to have brakes. Always go with brakes!!

I trailer a lot; probably 5000 to 6000 miles per year average over the past 6-8 years. I live in Southwest Michigan, a little nearer to Lake Michigan than to Lakes Huron and Erie, and basically only boat the Great Lakes with annual trips to the Gulf or Atlantic.

I wouldn't have a boat trailer for a fiberglass boat over 16' long without brakes.

You only have to find yourself in one predicament, and it (like Life :lol: ) will come at you fast, where brakes on your trailer would have given you a lot better outcome, to find it was better physically, mentally and monetarily to have brakes. I am conservative in my approach to these things, maybe more conservative than most, I'll admit. I have LED tail, turn and brake lights (both high and low), and LED side markers on my trailer also due to my conservative approach. I don't want anyone behind me to have any doubt whatsoever what it is I'm trying to or intend to do.

I'm currently trying Kodiak SS disk brakes (both axles) and I like them for their oil bath bearing lube system. I have also run Tiedown SS disks and I don't think either is better than the other. The current Tiedowns use calipers that are replaceable from your local Auto Zone, which is very cool.

I towed the venerable 18 for nine years. You do not need brakes to tow it if the tow vehicle has good four wheel disc brakes. I cannot speculate on what you might get in the future but if bigger and heavier than the 18, the trailer would most likely not be suitable.

Trailer brakes and trailer lightts are two causes of much annoyance. If you can safely avoid brakes on the trailer, I would.

I trailer over 10,000 miles per year and have four wheel discs on my trailer for my 23, but never felt stopping even in a panic situation was a problem with the 18. I drive a Suburban and the brakes are now excellent. There was a time when they were not so hot.

Back