Broke off the wire running into my VHF antenna

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hook Shot

Reaction score
The wire to my Shakespeare VHF antenna pulled out from the shaft when it caught on a limb as I was trailering my boat. Is there any way to repair this? The break occurred up in the stainless steel ferrule, so deep the broken end is not really accessible. What are my options?

Did you pull the guts (element and wiring) out of your antenna? I broke mine at the base and pull the guts out on a tree branch as well. I was able to repair it with some work and have not lost any noticeable functionality in my antenna. It is about three inches short which would (theoretically) change the impedance matching of the antenna and also how it handles VHF waves. However, I still have all the range and reception (30+ miles) that I need.

Haven’t done anything yet. Antenna still attached to the boat. Wire broke off at the top of the ferrule. Right now, it’s still on the boat at the storage yard.

When I broke my antenna off I replaced it with a removable Shakespeare 6225r and used the same coax. I broke the mast apart with pliers so I could get the entire coax. On the now bare end of the coax I used a:

Shakespeare 3003.4061 PL-259-CP-G Marine Center Pin Connector,Gold.​

The system works great and even supports my AIS. AND, if it does happen to get broken again it is easily replaceable.

Last edited:
Back