Broken bolt in transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZLJ75

Reaction score
Having some swim platform issues. The outboard, thru hull bolt, on my swim ladder sheared off at some point. The bolt is cleanly broken on both sides and needs to be removed and the transom inspected before re attaching the swim platform…which seems to be a requirement for family happiness. I’ve tentatively approached the bolt with a hammer and punch as it’s accessible through the aft-port box…but it will not budge. Any recommendations for removal?

Thanks. Zach

If it was installed with 5200, it's not going to come out without damage, unless your lucky. You may have to hole saw it out or a series of small drill holes (many) around it to remove, then repair the glass and gel, then use a backer plate on the re-install. A larger washer may be used on the outside to avoid the glass/gel work.

Another option...center punch one end of whats left of your sheared bolt, then drill progressively bigger holes through till it all comes out. As with all stainless drilling, low RPMs and use a coolant.

Thanks for the replies. Will try the bigger hammer but I think the small drill holes are going to be in my future.

Latest posts

Back