Broken timing belt pully

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave stauhs

Reaction score
Hello,
I had the timing bely pully break while under way. Has anyone ever heard of this. It causes catastrophic failure. Its an 05 F 200 put on the boat when I bought new on 2010. Twin set up. Please your thoughts!!!!!

Dave

Non-interference engine. So no big deal. Replace the pully and the belt.

I assume that the engine will still turn-over?

Hm I was told that they are interference motors. So itis bad

Someone gave you bad advice. With great certainty, the 3.3 liter F200 and F225 engines are non-interference engines.

Breaking a timing belt isn't common but it can happen especially when the tensioner pully freezes-up.

As long as you didn't attempt to run the engine with a broken belt for a longer period of time, the engine is fine. Simply breaking a belt will not cause valve or piston damage.

From Sims Yamaha site:

" Timing belt tensioners should be inspected on all models and replaced on interference engines like the F150, F200 4-cylinder, V6 and V8 models. The older 3.3L F200 and F225 are non interference engines, so if the timing belt or tensioner failed, the engine would not run, but not cause any internal damage. It is still recommended to replace the tensioner on these models for overall reliability. "

IMO the likelihood of the timing belt tensioner breaking is greater then the belt itself. kinda sucks because a timing belt tensioner IIRC is a $400 part but IMO changing out a Yamaha timing belt without replacing the tensioner is being penny wise and pound foolish......

Hello,
I had the timing bely pully break while under way. Has anyone ever heard of this. It causes catastrophic failure. Its an 05 F 200 put on the boat when I bought new on 2010. Twin set up. Please your thoughts!!!!!

Dave

That should not be that big of a deal to fix. I had a 2005 F225 and I am 99% sure mechanically it is identical to the same year F200. The 2005 F225 is absolutely NOT an interference engine. Flywheel is going to need to come off and you’ll need to replace the damaged pulley, belt and belt tensioner but if all that is broken is the plastic pulley, that’s not a difficult job. I had the timing belt tensioner on my F225 fail, luckily belt stayed on so I didn’t do any damage but the repair was essential the same. I didn’t even haul the boat to fix it.

Attachments

• C0CF1B81-807B-4B5D-B5A4-453AD656AB05.jpeg
    C0CF1B81-807B-4B5D-B5A4-453AD656AB05.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
I assume it needs to be timed, not just a belt and tensioner change.

There are arrows on the pulleys that you line up when you put the belt on....

Attachments

• 2D0BF0BA-CD32-49F3-AA0A-48EB73F6D3B9.jpeg
    2D0BF0BA-CD32-49F3-AA0A-48EB73F6D3B9.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 19
Looks like an easy task comparing to my Volvos timing job!

To all,
Thank you all for your responses and advice it's always a huge help. However I change the pulley set timing. Started the motor up on the first turn of the key. There was a miss in the motor. Turns out zero compression on cylinder 4. Looks like motor shot from what I'm told. Let's switch it up a bit. What are your thoughts on a Mercury? Never owned one was always Yamaha but in very disappointed with them plus not available! Thanks again for all your advice

To all,
Thank you all for your responses and advice it's always a huge help. However I change the pulley set timing. Started the motor up on the first turn of the key. There was a miss in the motor. Turns out zero compression on cylinder 4. Looks like motor shot from what I'm told. Let's switch it up a bit. What are your thoughts on a Mercury? Never owned one was always Yamaha but in very disappointed with them plus not available! Thanks again for all your advice

I am seriously considering a new V6 Merc 200 or 225 to replace my 2012 F150 on a 21SE

I will keep you posted. My ride leaves today to get repowered. I opted for the 225 replacement of my twin 200 as this was my only option. Lets hope it does not take to long!

Back