Cabin floor drain hole

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Is there anyway to re-route the cabin drain hole to drain overboard instead of inside the bilge?

Dom

Doubt it ...

First off you'd need to get through the stringers astride the bilge, which may not be a good idea, and then you'd need a pump to get it up out of there and outside the boat. Rotary pumps will backwash from the exit when power is off and while diaphragm pumps will pump down to the last 1/4" and will not backwash, a comparable one will cost up to $200.

What are you trying to solve ...keeping a dry bilge?

Yup. Not sure if that’s going to be possible. Whenever I clean the cabin floor the bilge gets flooded and most of the crap on the floor goes right to the bilge bump. Then I have to lay on the floor and clean out the bilge pump strainer. I could sweep the floor before spraying it down but that’s ridiculous. What a stupid design to make the cabin drain into the bilge. Would it have been that hard to run a hose to a thru-hull and let it drain overboard? It gets pretty dirty in there after a few trips and washing it down is a must (for me at least). Dom :evil:

I don't uderstand the drain design either, including why the anchor locker does not drain overboard. Has anyone asked Parker about that? I wonder what their answer would be.

I still haven't seen the anchor locker drain hole. I'm gonna look for it tonight. If there was a way to plug it and seal the anchor locker door with some weather stripping, this leak could probably be stopped.

I guess there's nothing to be done about the cabin floor drain hole. Too bad. :cry:

Dom

I trailer my boat and really don't have a problem.

I make sure it is in a bow up position.... pull the plug... hose away....clean everything out.

Wet slip for me. Maybe I'll trailer it in a few years. I like marina life right now. 8)

Dom

If I have a lot of loose crud in the helm area, I use a small dustpan and broom to remove the solids.

For the finer crud, I use a carwash sponge and water, with a squirt or two of Simple Green in the water, and just wipe everything up. I never really have serious wash water or dirt going into the bilge hole from the pilothouse floor.

That is not to say that there isn't water in there.

When I am done scrubbing down the exterior of the boat, I take the left-over soap and water in the bucket, and toss it in the bilge where it stays until my next outing. If the water happens to sit in there a week, it's no big deal. The gentle wave action causes the soap and water to slosh around keeping everything fresh and clean.

The next time I go out and jump on plane, all of the old wash water drains aft (even from that center bilge area) and goes out through the bilge pump discharge.
When I come back in from fishing, the bilge is clean and (mostly) dry.

I'm pretty anal about cleaning up, so don't use me as a yardstick. :)
That just happens to be my routine and my experience. :D

(BTW - I'm wet-slipped too)

96TL":3ml5tim4 said:
I guess there's nothing to be done about the cabin floor drain hole. Too bad. :cry:

Dom

Think about the elevation Dom... If your pilothouse floor was designed to gravity-drain (like the cockpit) your ankles would be getting wet on most trips! :shock:

When you step "down" into your Pilothouse, your feet are at or slightly below sea level. Putting a scupper at that elevation would be an issue.

I think one of the best design features of the Parker Pilothouse is the "recessed" cabin. That gives us a full-height cabin while still retaining that sleek "low-rider" Parker Profile. It makes a huge difference to me, by cutting down on the time I have to wait for bridges to open. This same design puts the pilothouse floor very close to, or below, sea level. Its a compromise for sure, but one I am willing to make. :D

That’s true. I’ll deal with it. It’s not a big deal. I’m still upgrading the cockpit hatches/plates to Armstrong’s though. I won’t have a bone dry bilge, but at least I know the only water that gets in there is what I put there. Dom

I have a rubber backed mat in my 2530 went I enter the cabin to wipe feet and not let you slip.

I have a very small dustpan and brush, about 4" wide only that I use.

I think I might have got the brush and pan at a Coleman store.

Dana

On my 2310, the in floor box between the helm seats did not drain properly and I fussed about it until the dealer and Parker came up with a solution. In the step as you go throught the cabin door, a shower sump pump was installed and the drain routed overboard. A new drain line was installed from the in floor box to the sump pump. Works well.

I realize this is a bit different than what you describe, but I bet the concept would work for your application.

Now I get it. I have been looking at the boat from the deck. When I look at the Parker fom the dock, the waterline is too high up to be able to drain the anchor locker overboard without risking water going in when waves hit the boat.

Bruce":ljkuwiuh said:
Now I get it. I have been looking at the boat from the deck. When I look at the Parker fom the dock, the waterline is too high up to be able to drain the anchor locker overboard without risking water going in when waves hit the boat.

......EXACTLY!...... :D
It -does- however allow us the Parker "Lowrider" profile 8)

esfishdoc":37smvm66 said:
I trailer my boat and really don't have a problem.

I make sure it is in a bow up position.... pull the plug... hose away....clean everything out.

Same here. In 5 seasons, I've never had enough crap on the cabin floor that would wash back and plug the bilge pump strainer. What are you doing in that cabin? :roll: :roll: :roll:

BTW, I don't think you want to plug the anchor locker drain. The anchor rode comes in wet, and drains water...not a lot, but some.

It's mostly ashes from cigars (yeah, I know), dirt from our shoes, and fish scales. I guess I'll sweep the floor before washing it down from now on. Thanks everyone.

Dom 8)

The floor drain hole just acted like a black hole and gobbled up any small screw, washer, jelly bean, etc. that hit the floor. I bought a simple stainless drain plug that fit perfectly in the hole and easily removes to empty my lost treasures.

It's a #50 heavy duty stailess strainer #12 mesh lavatory.... listing for $3.93 at :

www.plumbingwold.com

Attachments

• drain in place.JPG
    drain in place.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 9,105
greatcir":cviz6ptn said:
The floor drain hole just acted like a black hole and gobbled up any small screw, washer, jelly bean, etc. that hit the floor. I bought a simple stainless drain plug that fit perfectly in the hole and easily removes to empty my lost treasures.
Ahhhhhhh, the beauty of sharing tips and tricks on ClassicParker

... foolproof, simple, and yet highly functional! Just like the boats :) .

DaleH":38gdylna said:
Ahhhhhhh, the beauty of sharing tips and tricks on ClassicParker

... foolproof, simple, and yet highly functional! Just like the boats :) .

Yep. I've already ordered two.
One for the v-berth footwell drain and one for the pilothouse floor drain. 8)

Back