Cabin Floor ....Hazardous Surface

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
I must address the smooth surface of the Cabin Floor on the Parker. This area is a serious “slip and fall” hazard. I’ve emailed Parker with my concern and have had no response. :( I am beyond belief why Parker would not have made this area safe. Does anyone know of a textured Gelcoat that can be painted on the floor to form a non-slip surface?

If "Awlgrip Griptex" will mix with Polyester/Gelcoat...... :idea: I can simply prep the surface and apply it with a foam roller to the area that requires a non-slip surface.

I picked up some good quality all weather carpet from the nearby Lowe's and cut it to fit. It has a rubber backing and works great. Simply remove, wash/rinse and let dry. No more "dancing" when stepping down onto the pilot house floor. Helps provide a warmer feeling when spending the night. My barefeet prefer it and it does slightly deaden the sound.

This was the cheapest and easiest alternative for me. SWMBO and I are sold on it. We'll replace it in a few years when it gets gross.

I'm upset with the fact that Parker avoids this issue. It is not the consumer's responsibility to modify the design of the vessel to make it safe. Over the weekend a friend slipped in his Cabin and ended up spread eagle with a pulled Hamstring. We promptly covered the floor with a non-slip pad as a temporary fix to avoid another disaster.

I don't see it as a problem....... but that is me. I've never found it to be dangerous......

Now driving up and down the highway is dangerous!

Put a non-skid surface on there and someone will pivot and twist/sprain an ankle. I'm sure there are lots of considerations.

I put down some cheap carpet to make it look better..... when in heavy use the large white surface always looked dirty.....

The nice thing is you can make the surface anything you want. Do a search here and/or The Hull Truth and you will get many ideas.

Regards,

Richard

My 23dvsc is slippery if you are barefoot and floor is wet, did that split that was mentioned several times one leg outside while the other one is in the cabin, almost smashing the guys on the bottom of the door jam!

Yep. It can be slippery when wet, but I'd rather not paint an agressive non-skid on there because then it would be difficult to keep clean.

I use an old towel as a floor covering if it is summer, I'm barefoot, and my feet are wet. Otherwise, I wear boat shoes.

With shoes (or white pimp boots), the floor is no problem. :)
What are "white pimp boots" you ask?

Image-5C6AF5E650C511DB.jpg

Wow Kevin. You gotst nuthin on John Travolta.

Now where can I get a glitzy ball to hang from the roof?

danielb......

If the "Awlgrip" will mix with Polyester, we are going to go with the "Griptex" added to the Gelcoat. "Griptex" is available in a grit range of fine, medium and course. We were going to add the medium grit however it sounds like a fine grit worked well for you. The Gelcoat combined with the "Griptex" and a little "Colloidal Silica" to thicken the mixture is our preferred choice. Prepping the floor with a 220-grit paper will create the tooth for a permanent bond.

Megabyte":690x9y7q said:
Yep. It can be slippery when wet, but I'd rather not paint an agressive non-skid on there because then it would be difficult to keep clean.

I use an old towel as a floor covering if it is summer, I'm barefoot, and my feet are wet. Otherwise, I wear boat shoes.

With shoes (or white pimp boots), the floor is no problem. :)
What are "white pimp boots" you ask?

Image-5C6AF5E650C511DB.jpg

Around here the white pimp boots are referred to as "Tangier Nikes"

:D

danielb........

Adding the non-skid to the paint, did you find that the grit was dispersed evenly? My reason for adding some "Colloidal Silica" is to thicken the Gelcoat making the grit suspend through out to avoid clumping. A foam roller would be my choice for the applicator. "Awlgrip" said I will have no problems mixing the “Griptex” with the polyester. I'll follow your suggestion and also mask for run-off channels.

Rubber-backed mat is the easiest.

Been there slipping, not falling yet though.

Is just when you step in. Just take it out and rinse it, air and sun dry it, and be done with it.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02393 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02393 (Medium).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 9,694
I found a great surfboard shaped rug in Parker colors that fits perfectly as a runner from the pilothouse door to the v-berth. It's rubber-backed and machine-washable. Best of all, the kids stand on it and pretend to 'hang ten' when the ride gets rough :D

Attachments

• October2006 034 (Medium).jpg
    October2006 034 (Medium).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 9,532
Porkchunker":1vw3oqv4 said:
I took a swimming noodle, cut it to fit, and pushed it up onto the overhead panel to protect my head. I'll see if I can get a pic of it today.

That's usin' the ol' noodle Porkchunker! 8)

Mine is blue.

noodle1.jpg

One slit lengthwise down to the center core hole holds it to the door frame.
My biggest problem is forgetting it's there, and trying to close the cabin door! :roll:

I haven't had any real trouble, but I have a 'throw' rug on the floor to keep it clean. The idea of using a rubber backed carpet sounds like the ticket. :)

all,

from the start, i wanted carpeting in the cabin, both for color-coor
dination with my new bunk covers and seat covers, but also for
quiet........i made a template up and cut out several at time...they are
fully removeable for vacuuming or outright replacement with another.....
mine fits very snugly and does not move a bit.

the other approach would be TREADMASTER.....with several different
patterns and colors, you could easily upgrade to it as diy..........i wouldnt
think of leaving the carpet approach, but if i did, i would go to treadmaster rubber flooring.........dan

I put down the same type mats that Cbigma did in his link on this thread and have been very pleased with the results. He chose to remove his due to being primarily a dive boat and the mats get saturated from divers coming in and out dripping wet. For my fishing applications, I have never had a problem with the mats sliding and they are very foot freindly vs. hard floor. Only took me about an hour to cut to fit and were very inexpensive. Good luck.

Back