Cabin Light Too Bright

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Tim

Reaction score
I am seeking a red replacement bulb for the twin bulb cabin light that is less wattage than the eight watt bulb. Eight watts is just about twice the amount of light needed when underway at night. Anyone know of a source? BW and WM have only 8 watt red bulbs.

There are two bulbs in it - one red and one clear (white). A red gel would work for a while but will get burned by bulb contact eventually. I'm thinking a coating applied to the bulb would perhaps be a successful idea. I'll keep looking for the correct wattage bulb in red for while yet.

Ranger Tim":305jnbpp said:
I'll keep looking for the correct wattage bulb in red for while yet.
Tim:

I believe that bulb is a F8T5/CW model, 12" long, 5/8" diameter, 8 watts output (0.8 amp fraw). They do make a 6W model, but it is only 9" long. Perhaps you could use that bulb in your fixture "if" you could move one of the end mounts.

Also note, Davis Instruments used to sell a slip-over polycarbonate sleeve to turn a white fl-tube bulb to red color. This might help you too.

You do NOT want to throw a dimmer in-line to these type of bulbs.

NAPA,

Makes little rubbers to go on a lot of the light bulbs to change or dim colors.

You may also find NAPA a good place to replace with a special order bult in the wattage you may want.

Good luck,

BAZ...

Ranger,

I solved that problem by swapping out the incandescent fixture for one with LED's. The switch has three positions... white - off - red ...
I got the fixture at Boaters World.

You can see the lights at the lower left in the photo below.

Image-1CBA347E7D3511D9.jpg

Dale,

The bulb is incandescent from the dome light fixture, a bayonet type auto parts bulb.

Megabyte,

Are the LED lights less bright? I am happy with the fixture, I just need less light.

Ranger Tim":1srqc5qi said:
Dale,
Are the LED lights less bright? I am happy with the fixture, I just need less light.

That particular fixture is about 1/2 the brightness of my factory light.
In my case, that wasn't a problem.

I just got my 7" LED Dome light today. This fixture is made by ABI Marine. The LED's look awesome. Pics don't do it justice. It's much brighter than the pics shown but slightly dimmer than the OEM light.

9484DSCF0001.JPG

9484DSCF0005.JPG

9484DSCF0007.JPG

Back