Can’t fill boat with fuel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reckless 2

Reaction score
2019 2320 will not take fuel through the filler neck vent sounds like it’s working any ideas what’s going on

Vent may be partially clogged. If your boat has a carbon canister in the vent line it may be clogged. The fill line may be kinked or blocked. Dirt dauber nests are a common blockage.

Is the boat approximately level when you are fueling?

Vent may be partially clogged. If your boat has a carbon canister in the vent line it may be clogged. The fill line may be kinked or blocked. Dirt dauber nests are a common blockage.

Is the boat approximately level when you are fueling?
Yes it does have a charcoal canister

Had a similar problem with my 2019 2529XLD. The last 20-30 gallons went in very slowly. My tank is 179 gallons usable. I ran the boat completely out of gas. I put 5 gallons back in to get back to my harbor. It took 150 gallons more and would not fill the remaining without trickling it in. I contacted the tank manufacturer. After trouble shooting a few items including pictures of the fuel pick up tubes, they made an additional vent to place under the fuel quantity sending unit. It "T"s into the standard vent line. I can now fill the tank without issue. It still doesn't fill at the max setting on most fuel nozzles; however, the last 20 gallons doesn't trickle in any more.

Fuel pickups 1/4" off the bottom of the tank.IMG_2395.JPG
Fuel sender before vent mod
IMG_2040.JPG
Fuel sender after the mod
IMG_2514.jpeg

I had a similar problem with my 2016 23SE. I checked the vent lines for and aft of the canister and the canister itself. Air seemed to flow freely through them all. However, the run of the vent line after the canister to open air did include at a pretty significant angle bend. Thinking the bend might reduce air flow, I replaced it with a stainless steel 45 degree fitting. I haven't experienced the problem since.

It is your charcoal cannister. Although i'm not suggesting it. If you override it your problem will be fixed. I had the same problem on my 2017 2520. That cannister caused more fuel to go overboard into the water than it could save in fumes in 10 lifetimes.

I'm not sure who makes the tanks for parkers. But I know the manufacturer i work for, some of the boats use florida marine tanks i believe. We've had more than 7 boats with the metal bung for the vent line kinked inside the tank. They've flown out every occasion to fix that issue.

Mine is made by Florida Marine TanksView attachment 31330
Our tank label says 200 gallons, and it will hold 200 gallons. (we don't have that EPA, (p.o.s.) contraption that does more harm than good). Ours is a 2013/2014, 2520 XLD. I don't know if that was the 'standard' tank back then, but I was told here on CP that our 'nitch' boat did have the 200 gallon tank (confirmed) and did not have that EPA contraption that makes it hard/impossible to fill the tank.

Last edited:
very interesting. My boat (2021 2520) takes fuel pretty slow. so If i remove that black thing under the gunwale, ot will take the fuel faster?

If you call or email FMT and tell them you heard about the additional vent they will send you one so you can leave the charcoal canister on board.

The thing is FMT wants you to use a hole saw to cut and place the new vent. At our dealership, for insurance reasons we've refused to do so just because gas and drilling isn't always the best combo. Although I'd be comfortable doing it myself, the issue is really on them and they've came through everytime. The charcoal canisters don't really affect filling the tank. The first and second time it does, but after that they have vented and shouldn't restrict fuel flow. Another thing is with these new push button fuel caps ive found myself having to hold the nozzle in different orientations just so I dont block the vent air....if that makes sense.

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I am having the same problem with my new to me 2019 Parker 2320. Tank is less than half full but when I try to fuel up, the fuel comes up in the fill line and cuts off the pump. The marina tried to blow out the vent line, but it did not solve the problem. They seem to think now that it is the charcoal canister but, having read this and the other thread, I'm not sure. Is there any consensus on this?

Although I only have an 1800, my neighborhood gas station has a slight slope where you pull up next to the pump. If I pulled in with the bow slightly down, I would have trouble filling. If I pull in from the other direction, bow slightly up, no problem. I didn't change anything but I can get 2 completely different experiences.

Back