Can Raymarine Radar fit on a Furuno hole pattern mount?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island Dreamer

Reaction score
Just picked up a Raymarine unit to replace my ancient Furuno radar. Are the hole patterns for units interchangeable? The generic ones for sale at Westmarine seem to work with all units except Furuno.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/raymarine--rd418hd-color-radome--14562821The Furuno is from 1997.
Side note.....got the radome for $200 and a refurbished Axiom 7 for $375. Just need to buy a cable for the Axiom and a 7 to 9 pin adapter cable for the transducer. There are some deals out there and I'll be selling my Furuno 1870f and Furuno radar for about the same amount as to what I'll have in these new items.
After running 80 miles out on a friends boat of some blufin, with some nighttime navigating in heavy fog, I felt I had to get a chart plotter with a radar overlay. My ancient radar just didnt give me confidence to navigate at night with 100 foot viz.

Look at the manufactures drawings on the web... Raymarine...:( It was cheap, cause no one wants them. After having Raymarine once....Folks don't buy them again.

I was excited but now not so! I do Respect your advice on anything that has to do with Parkers. Let’s just say I can get $1500 on eBay for the Raymarine radome , and $400 for the axiom seven, and maybe four or $500 for my older Furuno 1870f MFD and the old radar unit on my boat . For around $2500 total what package would you suggest I consider as an alternative?

You want a new MFD , New X-Ducer and Radar ? For $2500?

And you did not say what size? The X-Ducer [Airmar B175M] is about $1000 alone.

Well....You say you have a nice X-Ducer.....What did it plug into [Brand] They do not interchange, unless you have a Mix & Match X-Ducer and you probably don't Most don't even know what it is. They have the ability to change the cable.

As to the rest of your question....No....thats not gonna happen.

I am disappointed to find out that you were exactly correct! There is no adapter cable to go from 10pin to 7 pin.There’s a whole bunch of 7 pin to 9pin adapters! So now I’m either left trying to splice the cable in and deleting the speed sensor portion of it and solely relying on GPS for speed or selling the axiom 7 with the radar as a package and find some thing else that is compatible. Looks like I’m back to the drawing board.

So now I’m either left trying to splice the cable in and deleting the speed sensor portion of it and solely relying on GPS for speed

What do you have?.....Transom mount with a paddle wheel on it?

This is a prime reason I tell people buy a [Mix & Match ] X-Ducer......If you can.

What is Mix & Match?
It is the same X-Ducer that is specific model designation.

But Mix & Match has a 6ft cable on the X-Ducer.....along with that comes a 25ft cable that plugs into the X-Ducers 6ft cable.....The other end of the 25ftr is specific to your MDF.
So...You want or next owner wants to change Brand equipment.....all you do is change the 25 ft cable. aprox $75 as apposed to changing the whole unit.....People will splice them.....I will NOT! You defeat the factory integrity.

Look at the manufactures drawings on the web... Raymarine...:( It was cheap, cause no one wants them. After having Raymarine once....Folks don't buy them again.

I'm not really addressing you Wart on this reply ..... but at the same time, I am.

You can respond here if you want but I'm not looking for a fight. I'm simply trying to enlighten others.

Wart has some very strong opinion. Some are based upon facts and experience. Others based upon something other than facts and 1st hand experience. Some opinions are based upon something that might have happened 20 years ago. But you can always count on Wart to have some strong opinions.

With Raymarine ....... First, Wart is partially correct. Raymarine, like all other manufacturers, has had a few problems with past products. Their DSM300 was a problem, especially those made in Mexico. Those made in Hungry didn't seem to have the same problems. The eS series as well as the a-, and e-series seemed to have touch-screen problems. I think that even Raymarine will admit this to be true. And Raymarine can't seem to standardize their communication cables over the past 20 years making upgrades difficult.

But Raymarine's now 5-year old Axiom and the newest Axiom-Plus seems to be rock solid. It has an excellent CHIRP sonar. The software is lightening fast. The entire system is very easy to use. Technical support is great. Most products have a no-hassle 3 year warranty. The Raymarine radar is as good any any manufacturer (except Furuno). Overall, Raymarine has an excellent product in their Axiom series and has a great reputation for reliability. Finally, the Raymarine autopilot exceeds all other manufacturers.

To paint Raymarine as a 2nd-tier electronics manufacturer is inaccurate and cognitively lazy. Raymarine is as solid of a marine electronic company as Simrad, Garmin, Lowrance. I still use Raymarine products on my Southport (chartplotter and A/P) much like I did on my 28 and 23 Parker. And to be completely honest, I still used Furuno products on the Southport (radar and sonar). Over the past 10-12 years, I've had 1 Raymarine touch screen fail and that was replaced by Raymarine at no cost. I also have had 2 Furuno 585 sonars fail (motherboard issues). One was fixed for $0 by Furuno; the other I had to pay. I run about 150-200 hours per year ...... most of these hours are offshore (50-100+ miles) and the electronics are "on" from 4am until well after midnight.

Should we also cast a negative light on all Yamaha products due to the 2004 F225 engines, or on Ford for their 6.0l engines, or Suzuki for their DT 2-stroke engines that occasionally caught fire, or Mercury for their early Verado line, or virtually any other manufacturer who has occasionally had a bad product??

Last edited:
Raymarine was bought out by Flir several years ago........and then they got rid of it....

Raymarine was bought out by Flir several years ago........and then they got rid of it....

It's not unusual in the large, international, Fortune 500 companies to buy/sell parts of the parent. This happens every single day. FLIR did sell the Raymarine branch to Teledyne in January 2021.

FLIR bought Raymarine in 2010 for $180m and did an excellent job putting $$ into research and product development. The Axiom products as well as the digital radar, CHIRP sonar and highly advanced autopilots were all a result of this investment.

I'm not sure what the point may be? Teledyne paid $8b for Raymarine ...... obviously someone thinks the products are pretty darn good. In turn, FLIR took a pretty good product and increased the Raymarine value from just $180m to $8billion in the matter of 11 years.

Last edited:
It really has nothing to do with it.

So here it is......MY experience. Some of you may...or may not know....I do marine electrical work....withen that I do electronic's installs.

Long time ago [decades]I bought a Aploco piece....Aplaco is a subsidiary of Raymarine. Like Simrad is to Lowarance

In their infinate wisdom they decided that a push in power cord....held in by a O ring would do the job.
Bouncing along in the bay it falls out. I plug it back in and it spikes the unit. [Kills it]
So yea.....it was cheaper unit...but for $.25 more could have put a screw in type.
Strike #1

Thru the years I've had people complain to me about Raymarine and how it's not as user friendly ....Their run on the 300 Black box failures. These folks wanted them out of there and wanted Garmin or Simrad. ...which I installed. Strike #2

We have a local Marine electronic's company here that pushes Raymarine when a customer comes in and is new to all of this....They sell'em on Raymarine.....
Why is that?..........Because "Georges Marine Electronic's" puts more money in THEIR pocket......Not because its a better product

Then 3yrs down the road......I spot them coming....."You've been to Georges.....in the past, haven't you?

If someone brings me their boat.....and has box's of Raymarine to install.....I send them down the road.....Want no part of it.

It;s TRUE.....There "Could" be ALL kinds of improvements...

It goes back to the old adage...Screw me once....Shame on you......Screw me twice...Shame on me......You don't get a 2nd chance.

So now you know why I hate Raymarine.

Ok .....

Apelco was a "brand" acquired by Raytheon in 1959/1960. I think that last Apelco product I saw in a store was at least 30 years ago so you are really reach back a LONG ways and hold a grudge for a really long time.

Raymarine does indeed offer incentives to retails. Just like Simrad and Garmin and GM and Ford and virtually every other manufacturer offers incentives to retailers to "sell my products".

If anyone thinks that Raymarine is hard to use then wait until they try to figure out a Furuno VX2.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but it looks to me like Garmin had at least originally cornered the market on the user-friendly, uniformed, lazy, and basically not-so-intelligent consumer of marine electronics (but not so much anymore). A lot of people just want to turn the unit on and push the buttons until they think they have it figured out and not even come close to utilizing the full features available to them.

FWIW:
I have the Raymarine Axiom line on my boat and love it. It’s fool proof and will hang with Garmin any day of the week, they have come along way from even the E series. If you give your opinion on a product and haven’t spent quality time in the field using it, you haven’t used it. A day on the water with a new to you product is not a fair opinion.
If you handed me a android phone I would hate it to, I have never used one so I don’t know the operating system.

Teledyne purchased FLIR which owned Raymarine, and teledyne now owns both.

Simrad is owned by Brunswick, which owns mercury, whaler, Lowrance, B&G, and other brands.

Garmin is it’s own company, and makes fantastic, highly desirable products.

Humminbird makes quite frankly the best inshore transducer technology in the industry and has a new line Apex which you will see enter the fold with the top three manufacturer’s
shortly.

Furuno is around, but you just done see many of their current product on the water today.

I think that last Apelco product I saw in a store was at least 30 years ago so you are really reach back a LONG ways and hold a grudge for a really long time.
My 1st experience :)

Defining User Friendly:

When you can take it out of the box.....Install it and use 95% of it "Without" reading the manual. The other 5% your gonna need to read the manual.

A side note on Hummingbird....on 1 boat I had here for something else.
It was a current model also....Small center console / open boat .

I always test GPS siginal strength on units I install. IE: see how many and strength of satellites the unit acquires.

Where I work on this stuff is under a 40ft long RV shelter and there is a large Oak tree shading it.
Getting numbers that show 8 or 9ft accuracy I think is pretty Damn good under those conditions. [Garmin & Simrad] never had a problem.
Hummingbird would never lock in....until moved out from under the shelter.

I sold the radar and have the Axiom for sale now. Just ordered a Furuno radar and and Furuno MFD. Installation should be easy and I dont have to keep wondering why Warthog doesnt care for Raymarine. Thank you to all the gave input on this!

For what it's worth, this last summer I replaced a 2005 raymarine radar (still working btw, but the DSM300 had failed) with a simrad halo 24 and the bolt holes lined up just fine. It was such an easy install. Radar technology from 2005 has improved by leaps and bounds!

Back