Carbon Monoxide Alarms ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tara11

Reaction score
I am woundering what is the difference between a good household Carbon Monoxide Alarm and one from a marine store, is there a difference or will they both due the same thing, the marine enviorment is harsh, but it will be inside a cabin , just looking for advise, the marine stores are alot more $ , so if they do the same thing , then I will get from the land store !

I can't imagine a carbon monoxide detector made for a home would last long in a marine environment, and I certainly wouldn't want to bet anyone's life that it might.

I'm no expert, but I can't imagine what the differences might be.

Both are made of plastic, have printed circuit boards, and are battery powered. Neither one is meant to be used outside, as it would be pointless to try to measure CO in the open air.

Stainless fasterners? doubtful.

The only other difference might be the concentration needed before alarm, but since the toxic nature of CO dosen't matter whether you are on land or water, that item is doubtful as well.

Am I missing something?

I have done alot of checking and I think you are 90% correct !

We like the kind w/ digital readout; that way we can see that they're functioning.
B0007ZYU7C.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That is what I got and if I have to throw away once a year and get a new one so be it !

Good luck with it brother!
If there are any issues... let us know! :wink:

PowerBoat Reports did a review recently.

Here's the Jan, '06 headline.

CO Detectors: Fireboy/Xintex Wins; Safe-T-Alert is a Best Buy.

Here is a short paragraph on marine ones versus house.

Marine CO detectors tend to engender love-hate relationships. They aren't cheap; UL certified marine devices like some of the ones we tested cost between $45 and $190. Though the UL standards require that these products be more durable than their domestic counterparts, their sensors are perishable and need to be regularly re-calibrated.

There is an issue of sensitivity level in that they react to a combination of CO level and time duration to trigger and this can be less sensitive than a house one.

Anything is better than nothing.

Dana

Back