carpet

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all paint no carpet a lot more noise . carpet pretty good sound buffer
Agree with that; the carpet is a good sound-deadener, even if it is a bit more trouble to maintain/clean. One other issue with bare and/or painted fiberglass is that it's more prone to becoming a 'condensing-surface' in cold weather; as in, it sweats more readily. Although I'm not a big fan of 'the carpet' (and I've had boats with, and without, and with 'bunny-fur', teak, and other coverings for that matter) it's not likely that I'd go through the torture of tearing it all out! I'll continue to search easier ways of cleaning it; in fact am getting ready to try spot-cleaning with a bit of steam, as long as it doesn't melt the glue! (I'll first try it in an easily-repairable place).

I found it pretty easy to clean the carpet. Get a garden pump sprayer, make a solution of oxy clean, bleach and water. Cover helm area with plastic and tape off to protect electronics. Soak carpet with with water, just soak it -not a mist or just a little wet, spray solution liberally on carpet, go have beer for 30 min, rinse with with hose. Repeat if necessary. Leave fan running and ventilate to dry over a few days once complete.

You clean the entire carpet getting rid of years of dirt, dust, salt. No scrubbing, really not much effort and it came out great.

I found it pretty easy to clean the carpet. Get a garden pump sprayer, make a solution of oxy clean, bleach and water. Cover helm area with plastic and tape off to protect electronics. Soak carpet with with water, just soak it -not a mist or just a little wet, spray solution liberally on carpet, go have beer for 30 min, rinse with with hose. Repeat if necessary. Leave fan running and ventilate to dry over a few days once complete.

You clean the entire carpet getting rid of years of dirt, dust, salt. No scrubbing, really not much effort and it came out great.
I think I could handle Step #6 : 'go have a beer' .... the rest of it sounds like too much work! ☺
Joking!; actually, ours is not very dirty, and has just a few spots of mildew that I 'spot-clean'. I've heard of other CP'ers doing similar to what you suggested and I'm sure it's a good solution. If ours gets where it needs that I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
It is always a tradeoff between a clean boat and aging our materials prematurely through exposure to chemicals. I shudder at the thought of sending a bleach solution into the cabin drain and under the gas tank. Of course it should drain through the PVC and never interact, but I am a realist. My anchor locker drain (under deck PVC) was plugged from the factory and I only discovered it by accident. I would be riding around with X? gallons of water in my hull if I hadn't checked. Not 1 drop of water that went in the anchor locker made it to the bilge.

Back