carpet

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jusjonny

Reaction score
best way to get rid of black dots in wheelhouse carpet looks like mold. 2017 25' sportcabin.

My Parker is new so I have not had that yet. However, my Ranger tug has similar material in the v-berth. I have used a spray bottle with a diluted mixture of Clorox. I let is sit a while and then wipe with water and a sponge.

best way to get rid of black dots in wheelhouse carpet looks like mold. 2017 25' sportcabin.
I have used Resolve carpet cleaner in a spray bottle. Spray on; wait a few minutes; lightly scrub with a brush; let dry' ;shop-vac away; this has worked for me, but I have not had a serious mildew/mold issue so far. (2013 Parker 2520)...

I have used Resolve carpet cleaner in a spray bottle. Spray on; wait a few minutes; lightly scrub with a brush; let dry' ;shop-vac away; this has worked for me, but I have not had a serious mildew/mold issue so far. (2013 Parker 2520)...
Thx I’ll try it andy

I have tried everything from carpet cleaners to 50/50 water and bleach. The best way I have found is simple soap and water. I take the hose right into the cabin hose it down and wash it. Rinse it well. If it’s not a hot dry day put a fan in the cabin to hep dry it out. I do mine every spring for the last 10 years

I have also used Woolite with good success.... I'd like to find something to spray or brush on that would seal the 'carpet' and/or help stop the 'shedding' of the fine particles. For now, I lightly vacuum it, being careful not to suck it off the walls and ceiling!

Best thing I ever found was my 1976 Stamas 24. The cabin had a full fiberglass liner, gel coated, and trimmed with oiled teak. Bucket of carwash solution, big sponge, rinse with the hose, leave it open to dry. Towel off the rinse water helped speed it along. Wish Stamas would make more of those, with modern gelcoat, etc, and a 300 Yam in place of the wretched Merc 233. I would buy one in a minute.

Andy I have been thinking along the same lines, let us know if you come up with anything>
Hi Deadrise, I plan to do some experimenting this winter.... I welcome suggestions and advice from ClassisParker folks. I thought I'd first try a clear, spray lacquer or varnish on some similar carpet samples'. I'd like to run by the Parker factory (Only a 4 hour round-trip for me) and see if I can purchase some of their carpet scraps... Or I'd go directly to their supplier if anyone knows who that is?

I found a matching carpet online. The place is called J&J auto fabrics. The material is called hull liner and the color is Sand Blend.

I found a matching carpet online. The place is called J&J auto fabrics. The material is called hull liner and the color is Sand Blend.
Hi WarrenD, Thank you! If I can't get some scraps to experiment with, I'll see if I can order a small 'experimental' amount from J&J....

Last edited:
Update; J&J priced one yard of fabric at only $11.95... The shipping charge is $37.04.... Total, $48.99.... They must be shipping it by private Limo service... ☺

Right now I am in the process of replacing ALL the carpet in my wheelhouse and v-berth of my 2820.

This stuff is the bomb. Remove and Prevent Mildew for Pennies
Pictures are before in the cabin of a Mako 230. I had pressure washed the outside and water got in past the hatch gasket. I forgot bedding was inside. It mildewed badly by the time I opened the boat. I made the DIY solution, soaked, brushed it in, let it sit. At first it looked like nothing was happening. Over a week and it had disappeared. When I ran my hand on the carpet dry white dust came out. To remove thatI made a DIY fabric concentrate and added to a garden hose end sprayer and soaked the carpet with it. Then used the wet dry vac to remove the water from the carpet and cabin area. Took just a few minutes to do.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
Right now I am in the process of replacing ALL the carpet in my wheelhouse and v-berth of my 2820.
I hope you'll post photos of your progress. With so many Parker owners resorting to this, seeing others progress is very helpful. There are many Parker owners who too have replaced all the 'carpet'. I wonder if this is common on other boat brands? I won't say I'd never replace ours, but because of all the work involved it will be a last resort.

I’m interested in removing the carpet and gel coating the cabin and pilot house of my 2820

Thank you! Your 'carpet' looks like new! I will try out the formula you sent the link to.....

It does and more so in real life.
I used a hand brush to gently rub the mildew killer into the fibers. I bought the brushes for a drill in the link below figuring I'd need to scrub hard. I didn't. The mildew cleaner did the work. If yours is more than mildew and is ground in dirt then go to Home Depot and buy a bottle of Folex Carpet Spot Remover. It's the bomb diggity. Read the instructions. Spray, rub a little with your fingers, then blot not rub with a clean towel. Car detailers use it. I've used it in the car, truck, and fabric furniture. It may look clean but spray with Folex and blot.... ugh! It lifts dirt out you didn't know was there. I need to compare the DIY Carpet concentrate for rug doctors with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCW1XND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Back