Caution Ordering From Great Lakes Skipper

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpellet

Reaction score
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com

I recently had what I would deem a negative experience with the Great Lakes Skipper online store. I wanted to share my experience and perhaps save someone else some money and aggravation. I was looking for a Suzuki Watergrip 16” x 17R Propeller. The part number for this item is 990C0-00810. When I searched online using this part #, Great Lakes Skipper had a unit advertised with a good price and the picture you see below on their website. 81228AF6-8129-47B3-8550-00F709A1C856.jpeg

I ordered the propeller and it was shipped to me, upon opening the box, I was very disappointed to discover the propeller Great Lakes shipped was the OLD design Watergrip propeller, meaning that it was manufactured in 2017 or earlier. These older Watergrips have a hub that is supposedly more prone to being spun, the hub also requires a different thrust bushing and propeller spacer then the hardware used with the 2018 or later Watergrip propellers. Those parts are $70+. I might have bought the hardware and kept the propeller if not for the suspect hubs in the older Watergrips, that I didn’t want.

I called customer service and was informed that there would be an 8% “restocking fee” on the return, no refund on shipping and I was on the hook to ship it back. I asked several times why they hadn’t indicated that the propeller they were advertising was more then 5 years old and that is not compatible with the current Suzuki propeller hardware. There really wasn’t any acknowledgement of this but the “returns manager” did agree to waive the 8% restocking fee when I asked him if he would be a pleased customer if he was on the receiving end of this transaction.

Not much else I could do but eat the shipping costs and send the 5+ year old propeller back.

Great Lakes did issue me a refund but the transaction cost me over $70 in shipping fees.

Great Lakes pops up in a lot of online searches when you’re looking for gear and their prices are competitive but based on my experience, you might not be buying what you think you are......

Last edited:
Back