Check your sealant folks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodick93

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a little rust on my anchor chain lanyard eyebolt. Upon closer examination, it had no sealant of any kind, and it was going through wood. While I was at it, I have had a curiosity about the transom and pulled the plastic trim piece off the transom step-through. The cap and transom are fitted with a slightly brittle brown Bondo type material. There were several cracks along there. The way the trim piece sits, it directs water straight into this area.
Knowing our boats are constructed with wood, I do all I can to keep my eyes open for these things. By the time they would have caused problems, the warranty would be gone.

Attachments

• IMG_20220408_120632800_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220408_120632800_HDR.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20220408_121714141_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220408_121714141_HDR.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20220408_124617419_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220408_124617419_HDR.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20220408_124625224_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220408_124625224_HDR.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 203
Wow nice catch.

On my 2016 2320. Ive disassembled a lot of the hardware, garboard drain, factory rod holders, deck accesses and all mine was sealed 100%.

I had a little rust on my anchor chain lanyard eyebolt. Upon closer examination, it had no sealant of any kind, and it was going through wood. While I was at it, I have had a curiosity about the transom and pulled the plastic trim piece off the transom step-through. The cap and transom are fitted with a slightly brittle brown Bondo type material. There were several cracks along there. The way the trim piece sits, it directs water straight into this area.
Knowing our boats are constructed with wood, I do all I can to keep my eyes open for these things. By the time they would have caused problems, the warranty would be gone.
Totally agree, that is an excellent catch. Gotta wonder why this occurred in the first place. This would be a very necessary contact with Parker and their quality control department (big company now that they've changed hands...) for some explanation/reassurance - and that would be for us all. You may have poked the proverbial hornets nest! No-one wants to take their boat apart to rectify deficiencies by Parker's assembly department.

I do not like the look of the wood in the photo of the deck edge at the walk through. The plywood appears to be swollen from water absorption... I know from watching their fabrication videos that they do not use a marine grade plywood for these laminate assemblies. Actually looks like cheap thick ply sheathing plywood. Parker may had stepped on their dicks with this shortcoming and exposure...! We realize that marine plywood, even a good grade of AC plywood has gone crazy expensive but Parker must continue to build good/better quality boats by NOT taking cheap steps!

By their videos, they also use cut up chunks of the plywood for the lamination. They don't reinforce the laminate, they only thicken it.

Attachments

• 28174-af020e4b2bbbaf57ef15f6588b94a4cc.jpg
    28174-af020e4b2bbbaf57ef15f6588b94a4cc.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Stand up Bodick93 - what happened? Did you wimp out?

I do not like the look of the wood in the photo of the deck edge at the walk through. The plywood appears to be swollen from water absorption... I know from watching their fabrication videos that they do not use a marine grade plywood for these laminate assemblies. Actually looks like cheap thick ply sheathing plywood. Parker may had stepped on their dicks with this shortcoming and exposure...! We realize that marine plywood, even a good grade of AC plywood has gone crazy expensive but Parker must continue to build good/better quality boats by NOT taking cheap steps!

By their videos, they also use cut up chunks of the plywood for the lamination. They don't reinforce the laminate, they only thicken it.

What are you even talking about?

I’m pretty sure parker uses the correct type of marine grade ply wood and understands how to build THIER boats a whole of a lot better then you.

Everything in the picture you see of the walkthrough is glass, but the two parts were connected or sealed with the bondo or fairing material. When the screws for the trim piece went in, the two surfaces separated at places, letting water into...? I hope, NOT the top edge of transom core. I cleaned and sealed it with 5200. The sealant probably didn't stick to the plastic, but I am not pulling it back apart to find out. It is sealed to my satisfaction.

Reactions: A-K
AK- You know exactly what I'm talking about. The edge of the deck at the walk through in the picture is WOOD! Watch their construction video - and if dick93 knows what he's talking about - then Parker is NOT using marine grade plywood. And they chop the plywood into pieces instead of using a complete panel. You guys are all alike...

You either like the boat and Parker or not. If you do then stop crying about some sealant. First you say "check your sealant" and complain then you say it's just fine. Wishy-washy.

Last edited:
AK- You know exactly what I'm talking about. The edge of the deck at the walk through in the picture is WOOD! Watch their construction video - and if dick93 knows what he's talking about - then Parker is NOT using marine grade plywood. And they chop the plywood into pieces instead of using a complete panel. You guys are all alike...

You either like the boat and Parker or not. If you do then stop crying about some sealant. First you say "check your sealant" and complain then you say it's just fine. Wishy-washy.

All you are is a internet knuckle head. I’ve been watching your other post and you seemlike a strange duck. Do you even own a boat own a parker?

Last edited:
Not to
I know from watching their fabrication videos that they do not use a marine grade plywood for these laminate assemblies. Actually looks like cheap thick ply sheathing plywood.

Marine-Grade Plywood - Hanford Lumber
Sheathing uses the same adhesive. There is a difference between box store sheathing and lumberyard sheathing. Marine has two A surfaces with supposedly no voids in the core while sheathing uses a single A side and MAY have voids.
When I redid the decking and casting bow on my last boat I went with sheathing. it was superb. In all the cuts I made I only saw one void and that was on the outside of the sheet and was very small. I did not find any voids when full sheets were cut. Marine ply was $75 while the sheathing was 24. After using marine ply in the transom and seeing no difference from the sheathing other than both sides looked nice albeit all the footballs that removed voids on the marine surface veneer, I went with sheathing. As I did with the marine ply, I coated each sheet and edge 3 coats thinned and 2 or 3 coats unthinned West System epoxy.

first pic is sheathing. 2nd pic of transom is marine. The sheathing had a nicer veneer.

Attachments

• DSCN5482.JPG
    DSCN5482.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 60
  • DCP_7599.JPG
    DCP_7599.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 61

Relax man. Just keep your eyes peeled for areas that lack sealant.
I don't know how they build boats, I just know I love mine. The edge you see in the picture is solid (as a rock) glass, not wood. There was nothing less than rock hard material encountered, so no wood that you can see in the pic.
However, what is inside and below the seam where the fairing material cracked is unknown. So I sealed it. After cleaning everything and leaving is disassembled for a few days, I added about a teaspoon of 5200 to the outer edge, in the seam and on the screws and put it back together. Done, and I don't consider it a big deal. But in 10 years, maybe it would have been.

Last edited:
Marine Ply is not a be all and end all
it is often A/B exterior with LESS VOIDS

A/C exterior is more common than not in modern boat construction

I used MDO G2S plywood for applications where the plywood was more than a core with superior results
It was designed along time ago with a bonding adhesive for boatbuilding
It is the stuff used to day for signboards on the highway
The adhesive is called 5200

And YES my Parkers were not properly sealed and bonded
Believe it was a dealer issue though and not a plant issue
but they are just as rot prone as Grady White

For the walk-through transom folks, if you decide to seal under the plastic trim piece, it will become a dam. This can be remedied by drilling a few small holes from back to front, landing just above the walk-through deck surface. This will get rid of the little bit of standing water and the grunge that collects there. Pic to follow.

These are the three holes I drilled in the trim plate to let the water through from the cockpit side after sealing. No issues whatsoever. Plastic is not brittle at all, almost like starboard.

Attachments

• 16560789032066981938449598315032.jpg
    16560789032066981938449598315032.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 42
Back