Considering new 1801 for crabbing, fishing, boat rides.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

GaryS

Reaction score
New member thinking of downsizing and up-sizing to an 1801. Currently have a KeyWest 244CC with twin 150s and a Kenner 15' ProSkiff with a 25 Yamie. I'm 71 and just don't use the 24'er much and am giving up on the ocean and just want to do some recreational crabbing/fishing in the Assawoman Bay and maybe trailer elsewhere on occasions. Would often be by myself or one other person fishing or crabbing with an occasional boat ride with 2 couples, top speed not a concern. I've got multiple questions but will start with thoughts on engine size, I think 115 is plenty, and can you tend crab traps with a Bimini top up? Any must have options? I want to tow with a Toyota 4Runner, once the big boats gone I will sell my diesel truck. Thanks for any advice.

Inshore Chaser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New member thinking of downsizing and up-sizing to an 1801. Currently have a KeyWest 244CC with twin 150s and a Kenner 15' ProSkiff with a 25 Yamie. I'm 71 and just don't use the 24'er much and am giving up on the ocean and just want to do some recreational crabbing/fishing in the Assawoman Bay and maybe trailer elsewhere on occasions. Would often be by myself or one other person fishing or crabbing with an occasional boat ride with 2 couples, top speed not a concern. I've got multiple questions but will start with thoughts on engine size, I think 115 is plenty, and can you tend crab traps with a Bimini top up? Any must have options? I want to tow with a Toyota 4Runner, once the big boats gone I will sell my diesel truck. Thanks for any advice.
Had a 2018 1801 with a 115hp for a couple of years. You
will be fine with a 115hp....wot was between 38 - 40 mph. The hull is not even close being designed for speed so my bet is a 150hp only increases top end speed by 3 - 5 mph. A Toyota 4runner set up correctly (air bags for leveling) will tow that boat like a dream. Good luck...it is a great boat!

Attachments

• 20200705_104601.jpg
    20200705_104601.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

GaryS

Reaction score
I guess it's too off-season for many replies but it's boat show season and I may order a new 1801 so I was hoping for some responses. I'll throw out another question, can the boat be easily operated while sitting on the leaning post/seat? As mentioned I'm an older dude with bad knees and can't stand for very long, need to sit while running.

GaryS

Reaction score
I guess it's too off-season for many replies but it's boat show season and I may order a new 1801 so I was hoping for some responses. I'll throw out another question, can the boat be easily operated while sitting on the leaning post/seat? As mentioned I'm an older dude with bad knees and can't stand for very long, need to sit while running.
I tried to post this Friday morning but it's still held up so I'll try again.