Considering new 1801 for crabbing, fishing, boat rides.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryS

Reaction score
New member thinking of downsizing and up-sizing to an 1801. Currently have a KeyWest 244CC with twin 150s and a Kenner 15' ProSkiff with a 25 Yamie. I'm 71 and just don't use the 24'er much and am giving up on the ocean and just want to do some recreational crabbing/fishing in the Assawoman Bay and maybe trailer elsewhere on occasions. Would often be by myself or one other person fishing or crabbing with an occasional boat ride with 2 couples, top speed not a concern. I've got multiple questions but will start with thoughts on engine size, I think 115 is plenty, and can you tend crab traps with a Bimini top up? Any must have options? I want to tow with a Toyota 4Runner, once the big boats gone I will sell my diesel truck. Thanks for any advice.

New member thinking of downsizing and up-sizing to an 1801. Currently have a KeyWest 244CC with twin 150s and a Kenner 15' ProSkiff with a 25 Yamie. I'm 71 and just don't use the 24'er much and am giving up on the ocean and just want to do some recreational crabbing/fishing in the Assawoman Bay and maybe trailer elsewhere on occasions. Would often be by myself or one other person fishing or crabbing with an occasional boat ride with 2 couples, top speed not a concern. I've got multiple questions but will start with thoughts on engine size, I think 115 is plenty, and can you tend crab traps with a Bimini top up? Any must have options? I want to tow with a Toyota 4Runner, once the big boats gone I will sell my diesel truck. Thanks for any advice.
Had a 2018 1801 with a 115hp for a couple of years. You
will be fine with a 115hp....wot was between 38 - 40 mph. The hull is not even close being designed for speed so my bet is a 150hp only increases top end speed by 3 - 5 mph. A Toyota 4runner set up correctly (air bags for leveling) will tow that boat like a dream. Good luck...it is a great boat!

Attachments

• 20200705_104601.jpg
    20200705_104601.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I guess it's too off-season for many replies but it's boat show season and I may order a new 1801 so I was hoping for some responses. I'll throw out another question, can the boat be easily operated while sitting on the leaning post/seat? As mentioned I'm an older dude with bad knees and can't stand for very long, need to sit while running.

I guess it's too off-season for many replies but it's boat show season and I may order a new 1801 so I was hoping for some responses. I'll throw out another question, can the boat be easily operated while sitting on the leaning post/seat? As mentioned I'm an older dude with bad knees and can't stand for very long, need to sit while running.
I tried to post this Friday morning but it's still held up so I'll try again.

I have a 2016 1801 with 330 hours. boat is mint. if your 71 you may want to consider a Pathfinder for crabing and fishing. You will be lower to the water. Easy in and out on the sand bars. Take a look. I am selling mine soon, Palm beach location. you would not be disappointed. Greg 8604247762

Had an 2018 1801.....great crabbing, fishing, sandbar boat....kinda of an SUV in the boat world. Due to its modified vee it is not the most dry or smooth riding boat but compared to other 18 - 20 footers it performs quite well. IMHO the 115 hp is more than enough....close to 40mph WOT with light to moderate load. It is not designed to be a performance hull so not sure how much more a 150hp would give you....need a 150hp owner to chime-in. As any other small center console most pilots are standing up and using leaning post during operation. The 1801 can handle a tight chop....use the tabs and slow it down. The boat will handle more than you feel comfortable with!

As a fellow old guy with bad knees, I feel your pain. I had an 1801 for a couple of years, sold it mainly due to the confused chop at our local lake on weekends. A couple of hard hits on wakes convinced me to sell that one and buy a new 23SE. My back is worse than my knees are. If you do buy an 18, I strongly recommend hydraulic steering, and would go with a 150 as well. Four adults with a 115 will struggle to get on plane. Get tabs too.

I upgraded a few years ago, but my 1801 had a t-top with a 115 hp. Aftermarket leaning post. A t-top would not get in the way of anything other than casting, and that was never really an issue, plenty of room bow and stern. The 115 was plenty of power. You would have a hard time getting on plane with 4 adults though. Never had trim tabs, engine trimed it fine. Wet boat at times but always pretty solid. I towed with a 4runner as well and it handled it fine.

Back