Core Material

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qsweet

Reaction score
So i have a 96' 2320. Soft spot in the deck that we have cut open. Balsa core and alot more was wet than expected. Regardless it is not a big deal. I am going to be putting in foam core. As of right now i do not know where to get it. I need about a 4x4 sheet or about that equivalent. I tried jamestown distributors. 200$ for the sheet and 180$ for shipping! Wtf is that! I called, as I live 30 min away from the warehouse, and they said I am not aloud to come pick it up. After an exchange of words with the person on the phone I am now looking for other places. (Also says free shipping on order over 100$ on their website). Defender has it but only in 2x4 sheets which would work but id like to buy a bigger sheet if possible ( I also have a couple soft spots in the roof that I am doing). So I am here to ask you guys.... Where is the best place to get core material for a reasonable cost? I am truly disappointed in JD... not the company they use to be. Thanks!

A 4 X 4 piece.....which is a 1/2 sheet will ship Truck freight...I'm sure they said can't come get it due to Covid.....I have a place 30min from me, I go get it.....No 1/2 sheets sold. Foam core? Which one?

No.....It is not.

You need to understand how structure of things work.....Composites are designed like a I beam. The core is the web......The fiberglass is the flanges. Using the same lamination on the flanges.......The thicker the core /I beam web The stiffer the panel.

When wood is used.....The strength is in the wood....The glass is for moisture & impact resistance. This is why....a 6oz cloth can be put on the underside....It's to protect from moisture and 2 layers of 1 1/2oz mat are put on the topside. It is to protect from moisture.....But also from Impact of droping things......None of that glass is really for strength.... But when it comes to composites it's all about the strength of the panel..... In the end......It's strength vs. weight.

I need to replace a little more than half of my deck. It appears to me to be marine plywood but I didnt think Parker built them that way...even in 1996 but Im not sure. Im thinking of Coosa. How is it bonded to the stringers and the hull. Im assuming resin. Are there other less expensive options?

Yes They used plywood. Resign putty to bond.....IE: Resign/Cabisol...... On a smaller section to fair size section..... The way to do it is with this design of half lap joint...... Can be done with a router....Epoxy glue the joint.....Use drywall screws as a temp clamp...Remove screws when epoxy has gone to a Green state. Don;t forget to fiberglass the panel Before you install it.....Not just resign coat it.

Warthog may think differently, but as a general rule replacement core should be the same material as that you removed. That is, if you remove balsa put balsa back. Otherwise you have differing strengths/stiffness where the transition is from one material to the other.

No.....It is not.

You need to understand how structure of things work.....Composites are designed like a I beam. The core is the web......The fiberglass is the flanges. Using the same lamination on the flanges.......The thicker the core /I beam web The stiffer the panel.

When wood is used.....The strength is in the wood....The glass is for moisture & impact resistance. This is why....a 6oz cloth can be put on the underside....It's to protect from moisture and 2 layers of 1 1/2oz mat are put on the topside. It is to protect from moisture.....But also from Impact of droping things......None of that glass is really for strength.... But when it comes to composites it's all about the strength of the panel..... In the end......It's strength vs. weight.
Recommend 3/4 oz Chopped Strand Mat instead of 6 oz cloth for resin rich underside. Best practice is to use unwaxed laminating resin for a thin sealer coat. after cure it will be tacky put down your mat layer on that with finishing resin or laminating resin you have added paraffin wax to. You can also promote surface cure with Pledge or poly vinyl alcohol. This is for POLYESTER RESIN

If you are not worried about cost use epoxy with cloth DO NOT USE MAT WITH EPOXY the silane binder will stop the bond and inhibit curing. if applying poylester over cured epoxy you will need to remove the amine blush with soap and water

Warthog may think differently, but as a general rule replacement core should be the same material as that you removed. That is, if you remove balsa put balsa back. Otherwise you have differing strengths/stiffness where the transition is from one material to the other.
Core only keeps the "web " apart different densities are commonly used along with different materials. Balsa is weight and cost. Plywood is cost but high density and higher compression strength for areas with high load attachments. Airex and Divinycel are superior for weight and very low possible water absorption. Coosa is an animal unto itself

Yesterday I took the leap and opened up the deck. I started with about an 8"x8" square. I clawed out all the wet plywood with my fingers. It was the water damaged. Next I cut a bigger opening to see how far the damages reach. Its obvious it goes well under the console. I took all the screws out from the bottom of the console securing it to the deck but it still wont budge. It seems the console is glued to the deck. Not sure how to remove it.
Any ideas? It feels like its more than just sealer.

Attachments

• 8 inch.jpg
    8 inch.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • First hole.jpg
    First hole.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
Screws and sealant. Once your sure all screws are removed you could try a wire saw or a multi tool with a dull blade (so its less aggressive) to release the sealant. If theres more damge beyond what you see you'll be needing to disconnect everything in the console. It needs to be removed completly to do this job efficently. Taking shortcuts will take longer.

You carefully use a Multimaster tool and cut it out at the flange between console and deck.

You can also use a series of wooden wedges spaced out around the base of the console. Start tapping them all in, one by one, working your way across the sides equally (like tightening lug nuts in a star pattern). Keep going around and tapping them in until the sealant releases.

Back