Cost of Yamaha F225 100 service?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gimme Shelter

Reaction score
I will call a couple of dealers on Monday; however, just curious what people are paying for this service. I was quoted $500-$600 today by a marina that I can get to by water versus taking the boat down from dry dock and trailering. It's more convenient but is the price "in the ballpark".

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Steven

I don't know about the "service" thing. Sometimes I think the only thing being serviced is the customer. My F-225 is 4 years old, has 400 hrs on it and never been back to shop.

Every 100 hrs I change oil filter ($22) oil (Mobil 1 $25 or so) and once a season change the Yamaha 10 micron filter ($20 ?) and lower unit fluid with synthetic (about $15). I own a grease gun ($20) and can grease the fittings etc. The rest of what you pay is labor and profit.

I did replace a couple of t-stats a year ago. One had frozen up (I don't always have access to engine flush). At a "weak moment" I gave in and went to a well known boat/motor dealer. He mis-diagonosed and replaced the water pump, never picked up a torque wrench, or used any anti-sieze.

Experience has taught me the futhur away I am from "service", the better I and my boat are!

by the way, there B-Faithful....Mercury thought so much of the "expensive to service" 225-4 Yamahas, they bought all they could (for years), painted them black and called the Mercurys.

Some would say the're the finest motors Mercury ever put their name on! :p :lol:

Now those 4 blade Merc props...WOW !

B-Faithful...thanks for the links. I did a search on THT before posting here but didn't find a match for some reason.

Fish Factory.. I agree on the service thing but I'm concerned with voiding the warranty and I'm not confident in my abilty to perform this service. I know I should learn to save time and money in the future. Just need to find the time....

Thanks for the replies..I will call the Parker dealer Monday to compare prices and make a decision.

FishFactory":jt1emc75 said:
by the way, there B-Faithful....Mercury thought so much of the "expensive to service" 225-4 Yamahas, they bought all they could (for years), painted them black and called the Mercurys.

Some would say the're the finest motors Mercury ever put their name on! :p :lol:

Now those 4 blade Merc props...WOW !

Bahhh, Merc did that to subsidize their service depts now that the Opti is so reliable. Their service depts were hurting for cash and they had to find a way to make it up somehow... 8) :lol:

Whether or not they are Mercs finest motors or not is debateable. What is not is that they were the slowest 225's merc put their name on :p

Ahh all in fun... (until you search how much the 300, 500, and 600 hour services cost :wink: )

FishFactory":1qyyg0bl said:
My F-225 is 4 years old, has 400 hrs on it and never been back to shop.......

At a "weak moment" I gave in and went to a well known boat/motor dealer.

"i did not have sex with that woman" --- WJ Clinton

:oops: :D

swl7":10dbe4rw said:
I agree on the service thing but I'm concerned with voiding the warranty and I'm not confident in my abilty to perform this service. I know I should learn to save time and money in the future.
FWIW I just asked a friend who bought a new Yummie F225 this year and he's done his service. What you need to do to maintain your warranty is keep your receipts, proving you replaced the needed parts ...

The only thing he didn't tell me and I don't know, is "when" the service interval is to check the valves on that puppy ... whether it be at 100 hours or 300 hours. All I know is, those with that, the F150, and F250 sure seem to be extremely pleased.

DaleH":23gipsfs said:
swl7":23gipsfs said:
I agree on the service thing but I'm concerned with voiding the warranty and I'm not confident in my abilty to perform this service. I know I should learn to save time and money in the future.
FWIW I just asked a friend who bought a new Yummie F225 this year and he's done his service. What you need to do to maintain your warranty is keep your receipts, proving you replaced the needed parts ...

The only thing he didn't tell me and I don't know, is "when" the service interval is to check the valves on that puppy ... whether it be at 100 hours or 300 hours. All I know is, those with that, the F150, and F250 sure seem to be extremely pleased.

Here is the manual and it gives its service requirements on Page 52 of pdf (46 on the manual)...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/se ... 5&mid=1103

timing belt replacement 1000 hours or 5 years
valve clearance check/adjustment is 500 hours or 2.5 years

Thanks guys.... I should definetly study the manual. The 100 hr maintenance certainly seems simple enough. I'm now re-thinking this service and may attempt myself. I appreciate the feedback and help.

B-Faithful":1hwvq1lt said:
FishFactory":1hwvq1lt said:
My F-225 is 4 years old, has 400 hrs on it and never been back to shop.......

At a "weak moment" I gave in and went to a well known boat/motor dealer.

"i did not have sex with that woman" --- WJ Clinton

:oops: :D

Don't make me have to call out "Birdman" on you!

swl7, I'm doing my 100 hour service for the first time this weekend. I was quoted $540.00 for the job! I think that's ridiculous. I paid the same for the 10/20 hour service, but I felt that was important to have done by a Yamaha tech for warranty purposes. I called Yamaha direct and they said its no problem doing the 100 hour service yourself. It's mostly just replacing the fluids and doing a visual inspection (and winterizing the motor too, in my case). Just save the receipts for any parts/fluids that you buy.

This is what I plan on doing this coming weekend.

- Change motor oil
- Change lower unit oil
- Fog motor
- Replace spark plugs
- Replace engine mounted fuel filter
- Replace boat mounted Racor filter
- Grease all fittings
- Grease steering ram
- Lube powerhead with T9
- Check zincs (replace if necessary)
- Remove prop and grease shaft
- Check for loose wires, bad grounds, and corrosion.

The owners manual explains how to do most of the required maintenance. If you have any mechanical experience I think you should be okay, just take it slow the first time, and no beers. :wink:

Dom

An excellent list of the stuff that needs to be done for the 100 hr check! The only thing that I did different is that I held off on changing the plugs and the filters...In the spring, after I complete start up maintenance and I verify that my fuel wasn't contaminated over the winter, I'll change out plugs and filters.

Back