Crack in New Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J876

Reaction score
Good morning all

A new 2520XL which was delivered in April of this year. I noticed this crack below today while scrubbing the boat. Is this something I should address? (ie - bring to dealer while still under warranty, cover with some kind of epoxy, etc...)

Attachments

• crack1.jpeg
    crack1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 276
  • crack2.png
    crack2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 268
The crack is of no significance, structural or otherwise but your boat looks immaculate and I understand that “everything has to be perfect” mind set with something “new”. I am currently lamenting over a very “slight” but if you look hard enough noticeable shopping cart dent in my otherwise “perfect” 2018 F350, again, I understand the sickness.

Leaving that crack, that no one else but you will ever notice, might help with the process of relaxing and learning to enjoy you new boat, vice keeping everything like “new”. If you fish the boat there will be other dings, dents and cracks over the years. If you can’t help yourself, call the dealer, I imagine that crack would be covered under warranty. Time to repair that issue, measured in minutes as in less then 10.

Just got done pressure washing my 2005 Parker 2520XL, after yet another April -November Season putting 194 hours on the engine, lots of blood on the deck and a few more dents and dings. Figure an hour in the Spring and I’ll have them all mostly camouflaged............

I would take several pics , and call / text your dealer with this information. There is wood behind that , and you want to make it aware of ASAP !!

One thing is for sure, that crack will not heal itself, and it won’t get any better. And, I would see it every time I had to put my rod tip through that ring. My guess is that whatever is under that glass is layered at that point, and the screw caused the separation. Maybe the pilot hole was not deep enough, or the screw hit something solid on the way in.

I would have it fixed. THis does not look like a typical gelcoat stress crack that pop up around corners and are not worth fixing as they always reappear. This looks like the it popped under pressure from the mount install. Best to seal it ASAP, I would think.

That looks to be a structural crack which is an issue whereas a gelcoat stress crack is not. Gelcoat stress fractures usually occur years down the line. If not corrected that may weep over time and will discolor as the wood behind it becomes saturated and rots. Let your dealer send a tech out to look at and let them make the recommendation. Whatever is done be sure there is dated documentation even if it's a statement stating nothing is needed so that should or when it does become bad you have proof you took action.

That “rib” that the pole holder is screwed to has either behind it or some type of particle board. I have seen these being “glassed in”. This needs immediate attention

What is up with that scupper detail? I think I would have more concern with that. Is the access door there for maintenance to the scupper?

Definitely looks like water intrusion. I'd get in touch with your dealer for the gelcoat repair. Chances are, the screws for the rod holder are not properly sealed, which is where the water would have come from. You'll want to address that as well, but you may have to do that yourself as the dealer may not acknowledge the problem.

It's not structural.... It's cosmetic.....It appears that there was some shrinkage.....
Nothing that a diegrinder and some shrads of fiberglass and then gellcoat can't fix...

It's a new boat...have it fixed.

As stated above, make the dealer aware. It may be a one off, but maybe not. You want the trail of documentation established early.

Pretty easy fix if you do it yourself but since it is so new I would just call the dealer and have his gelcoat man come an fix it, not a big deal but I know the feeling. I had a crack like that in each corner off the anchor locker after a year and just fixed it along with any other chips or cracks during the season.

Back