Cumbersome (nice but cumbersome) helm ladder back chair ...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
Does anyone find this chair cumbersome and hard to maneuver around? Help me like it? Or even better, has anyone done anything crazy like replacing it with something smaller, or just taken it out?

Attachments

• Image-1DDBECFEC2A211DA.jpg
    Image-1DDBECFEC2A211DA.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,330
I would agree that it is not the most lovable part of owning a Parker 2520.

I am used to it.... it took some adjusting of the foot rest.... keep it well lubed to slide the seat back or forward.... I've learned when to stand with it back...... sit with it back or forward.....

I'd probably remove the LH arm bracket so I could slide in and out of the chair easily. But Sal ... if you don't like it, it would be a SWEET upgrade to my '92 ;) !

I thought it was just me. The seats are awkward to get in and out of, but once I'm in the seat I am comfortable. To make it easier, I adjusted the height of the footrest and tightened the bolt so it doesn't swing so easily. I haven't found a way to lower the seat since mine is too high. Usually, when I get in the seat I bump my head on the roof. Is there ny way to lower the seat?

Here is what I did with my ladder back helm seat.
The pics aren't too good as I'm not 100% done with the seat!

Attachments

• seat 1.gif
    seat 1.gif
    44 KB · Views: 2,251
  • seat 2.gif
    seat 2.gif
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,251
  • seat 4.gif
    seat 4.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,251
  • seat3.gif
    seat3.gif
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,249
My (eventual) plan is to put a seat 'box' in that place, and top it with a 'leaning post' sort of pad.
The underside will house multiple 3700 boxes full of fishing tackle. :D

I am not an overly big dude but I have seat boxes with Todd sliding chair tops. By being able to slide them forward and back I can get the space needed. The only bad part is that they dont swivel. The boxes below are great for storage. I keep my life jackets under the helm chair for quick access.

Attachments

• mc1.JPG
    mc1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,226
I was thinking a leaning post would be swell. I'll play a bit with her as she is for now, but I'd definitely like to be into a better solution later this season. As I don't have a second station, and my slip being tight, it was a real bear when I splashed her last week and tried bringing her into the slip. It took multiple appraches despite the area being void of other boats, and I had to jump from the helm to the cockpit, and back, several times.

I think my language, and volume of my language, after bruising three ribs, banging my shin on the footrest, and slamming my head into the roof, will bother my neighbors. Although my wife will enjoy it...

B-Faithful, your open back, level deck, and box seating make for great function.

ParkerSal said:
I was thinking a leaning post would be swell. I'll play a bit with her as she is for now, but I'd definitely like to be into a better solution later this season. As I don't have a second station, and my slip being tight, it was a real bear when I splashed her last week and tried bringing her into the slip. It took multiple appraches despite the area being void of other boats, and I had to jump from the helm to the cockpit, and back, several times.

You should buy my 2nd steering station from me !
Makes docking alone very easy!

Thanks guys for the idea of taking armrests off ladderbacks. Mother Nature didn't allow me to do much outside on the XL today so I was forced to stay in the pilothouse while it was snowing/raining. Remembered reading this morning this thread and I've bruised ribs on that pilotseat armrest before, too. Took off the inside one and I like it better already. May do same to port chair. While piloting the boat, one hand will be on the wheel anyway and the other if need be can be on the right hand armrest. Looks alittle odd, but more functional.:)

Back