Cup Holders

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvan

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2520XL and have been using suction cup based drink holders. When crossing wake or heading out of Narragansett bay and into the ocean the cup holders (and the drinks in them) will often come crashing down. Any suggestions for decent cup holders? Before I started drilling holes I thought I should ask. :(

I screwed 2 drink holders (like shown below) to the bottom aluminum frame of my starboard window. One holds drinks in a koozie and the other holds a freon horn, also in a koozie to hold it secure (this one is placed well aft and just at my right shoulder when steering).

2nd-Station2-M.jpg

drvan,
I started with the cup holders your talking about and have given up on them...They hold cans ok but forget about a good old cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee... More than once my coffee ended up on the deck of my 2320. I switched over to the "Grippit"...The thing works great! Because it stretches it can hold anything from a can to a large ice coffee cup...Both West Marine & Boaters World have them. However, West Marine is charging $9.99 compared to $5.99 at Boaters World...

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/337010102msk.htm

JimH

I keep an Octopus suction coolie (good for cans) mounted on the top of my center console:

www.suctioncoolie.com

I also keep a portable rod-holder cup/bottle holder on board so that Dale doesn't spill coffee all over my boat:

9090710.jpg

:)

-- Tom

TomS":3h77r5g4 said:
I also keep a portable rod-holder cup/bottle holder on board so that Dale doesn't spill coffee all over my boat:

:mrgreen:

We mounted cupholders on StarBoard and attached the StarBoard with the bolts that hold on the handrails = no new holes.
cupholder.jpg

The top one is an adjustable fold up/down jobber from WalMart clearanced to hold a 1/2 liter bottle. The bottom one is custom made from a plastic fence post and will hold the biggest of containers; we use it for a small thermos.

Good thread.

I'm using the suction cup models and I'm also tired of them giving way at the wrong time.

I like that plastic fence post model. Since it is flat on the sides, I wonder if the wide velcro would hold it in place?

If you're talking about sticking velcro to monkeyfur, it didn't hold for us -- the monkeyfur pulls away from the wall. Other places we've had mixed results with the velcro adhesive maintaining...holds for a few days, then lets loose. It'll 'restick' but always lets go again, sooner and sooner.

We've taken to these little gizmos -- they hold to just about anything. Believe it or not, we're hanging raingear on hooks stuck to the door frame.

mountingstrips.gif

We got the assortment pkg at WalMart.

It will stick to the gelcoat. It just won't stay attached to the carpeting (if your boat has it).

That is... unless you put a dab of RTV silicone sealer on the sticky side of the velcro first, and let it cure before sticking the other half of the velcro to it. The RTV allows it to adhear to the carpet without falling off.

The velcro 'hook' part will grab directly to the monkeyfur, and hold relatively well, but with constant use the monkeyfur will become shaggy, that is if the Parker adhesive holding the monkeyfur to the boat doesn't let loose first. The 'industrial' velcro has the best adhesive - sold in rolls at Lowes etc., and will stick very well to clean smooth gelcoat unless/until it gets hot while 'loaded'. We haven't had much luck even with the industrial variety on the 'textured' gelcoat even using alcohol and acetone as degreasers.

We used to attach stuff to gelcoat with a dab of silicone (permanent but removable) but find the 3M sticky tabs much handier.

PS
The guys at Velcro say the 'loop' stuff has about a 2 year life in UV conditions.

jeffnick":2f7svjfw said:
The velcro 'hook' part will grab directly to the monkeyfur, and hold relatively well, but with constant use the monkeyfur will become shaggy, that is if the Parker adhesive holding the monkeyfur to the boat doesn't let loose first. The 'industrial' velcro has the best adhesive - sold in rolls at Lowes etc., and will stick very well to clean smooth gelcoat unless/until it gets hot while 'loaded'. We haven't had much luck even with the industrial variety on the 'textured' gelcoat even using alcohol and acetone as degreasers.

We used to attach stuff to gelcoat with a dab of silicone (permanent but removable) but find the 3M sticky tabs much handier.

PS
The guys at Velcro say the 'loop' stuff has about a 2 year life in UV conditions.

Well...that is better than the life of my suction cup models...when they hit the floor with a loaded can of coke, their 1/2 life is the time it takes to get back to port and toss them in the trash can. The rest of their 1/2 life spends in the trash dump.

Megabyte":2izyudoq said:
It will stick to the gelcoat. It just won't stay attached to the carpeting (if your boat has it).

That is... unless you put a dab of RTV silicone sealer on the sticky side of the velcro first, and let it cure before sticking the other half of the velcro to it. The RTV allows it to adhear to the carpet without falling off.

Carpeting? Headliner? Why do you have this on a fishing boat? I don't have that wet, moldy, mildewy stuff. No frilly girly-man curtains either. At the end of the season, I strip the boat, and blast out the cabin with high-pressure water. :D :D :D

Ain't no end of the season for us folk w/ air conditioning, heat and carpeted pilot houses; fact is there ain't even no end of the day neither...draw dem curtains, git neked, knock a few back, ketch a few zzz's and have at it agin' soonst as the sun's up if'n y'all have a mind.

For el capitain use only...it's a cap for a Stanley thermos screwed to the

I have the simple fold down can holders. They work fine with thin neoprene Koozies. Thick ones don't allow the surrounding guides (not shown in the photo). Maybe about $10.

Have one down to the left of the steering and one to the left of the bifold door to the vee (not in photo).

Holder has the Hooters sticker on it.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02331 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02331 (Medium).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 8,369
Porkchunker":2t1glpqk said:
[

Carpeting? Headliner? Why do you have this on a fishing boat? I don't have that wet, moldy, mildewy stuff. No frilly girly-man curtains either. At the end of the season, I strip the boat, and blast out the cabin with high-pressure water. :D :D :D

:D Good one!

jeffnick":1ogngoxe said:
Ain't no end of the season for us folk w/ air conditioning, heat and carpeted pilot houses; fact is there ain't even no end of the day neither...draw dem curtains, git neked, knock a few back, ketch a few zzz's and have at it agin' soonst as the sun's up if'n y'all have a mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Even Better!!

Guys, Sorry to be so far-a-field lately...But here's pic that may be helpful to some with through hole looking for a holder. It's not in the best place but has proved convenient for fishing. Still can't bring myself to drill
into FRP at the helm, but I'm eyeing the starboard storage areas next to the two pedastal seats...

Surprisingly, no mishap has occurred yet. But I won't worry much about it when someone steps onto the holder. I just hope I can find another one for $5.

Attachments

• Harpoon Holder.jpg
    Harpoon Holder.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 8,191
Most of the stuff Cabela's has is not suitable for salt water, but I use their suction cup drink holders and have used them for years. They have a lever action device that creates additional suction and does a fantastic job of staying stuck. Comes in white or black.

DOH! I just checked and they are not available anymore. Curses!

I also use the 3M Command Strips for holding stuff onto the FRP. There is a double sided stick tape and a plastic velcro version. They really stick well if the surface is prepared w/ alcohol per instructions. They also peel off leaving no residue, but you must follow the instructions again.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/

Back