Deck cleaning?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZLJ75

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on what cleaning to use on my deck? Despite soaping and scrubbing after all use, I’ve found the textured deck on the 1800 stains really easily.
thanks,
Zach

Been using Orpine soap with wax for years. Around me now, one dealer West Marine bumped it up to a gallon instead of a quart. Not cheap. Works well. West Marine has a similar product now, smaller, I have one and will use it next time I wash.

I also like Starbrite deck cleaner. Every 4 months I use a dual action buffer and apply a light coat of wax, which helps when I scrub the deck.

Key is to keep it clean to prevent the stubborn stains.
Since I dont have a washdown I use a bucket when fishing. The deck gets pretty bloody.
A thorough fresh water hosing and stiff brush once back in the slip, starbrite when needed but its not majic.

Soft Scrub with bleach … spread it out and let it “marinate” in the sun while you have a beer. Then give it a scrub and thorough rinse. It’s less expensive than the “marine” products.

I wax my non skid with starbrite polish a couple times per year. Blood and stains wash off way easier. I do make it a point to use the raw water wash down and spray off blood before it dries. Make sure to wash with soap and water after waxing to get wax residue off. If you don’t it will be a little slick. After washing residue off you will be good to go!

Looking for recommendations on what cleaning to use on my deck? Despite soaping and scrubbing after all use, I’ve found the textured deck on the 1800 stains really easily.
thanks,
Zach
I use deck wax once a year and then use my pressure washer when it gets dirty, but not too strong. Looks great afterwards

I would avoid abrasive cleaners like Soft Scrub. I did use it on my last boat often and it removed the gel coat from the raised “tips” of the non skid giving it a permanent peppered look.

I agree with most above- good cleaning with soap, a little bleach, or Starbrite. Then wax the deck. I use whatever wax I am using on hull. Typically I repeat every 2-3 months.

Then things stuff won’t stick or penetrate deck for easy wash down. Avoid detergents after waxing as they strip the wax. Use a mild non toxic boat soap sparingly.

Also- if you are washing at home you perhaps could be more liberal with bleach and chemicals versus dock.

In short- get it as clean as possible, then wax!

I would avoid abrasive cleaners like Soft Scrub. I did use it on my last boat often and it removed the gel coat from the raised “tips” of the non skid giving it a permanent peppered look.

I agree with most above- good cleaning with soap, a little bleach, or Starbrite. Then wax the deck. I use whatever wax I am using on hull. Typically I repeat every 2-3 months.

Then things stuff won’t stick or penetrate deck for easy wash down. Avoid detergents after waxing as they strip the wax. Use a mild non toxic boat soap sparingly.

Also- if you are washing at home you perhaps could be more liberal with bleach and chemicals versus dock.

In short- get it as clean as possible, then wax!
I was wondering why my old boat started to take on a "peppered" appearance. I think I better cut back on the Soft Scrub. What type of wax are you referring to? Won't that make the non-skid slippery as heck?

I was wondering why my old boat started to take on a "peppered" appearance. I think I better cut back on the Soft Scrub. What type of wax are you referring to? Won't that make the non-skid slippery as heck?
You can use “non slippery” deck wax (Starbrite, McKee’s, or Woody wax) but I use a thin coat of regular hull wax and it seems fine.

I have used all kinds of wax. Just make sure to wash the deck after you wax and it won’t be slippery. Aurora marine products make a great non skid wax kit. I have used it and had great results.

Back