Deck Mounting Area 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels4896

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member awaiting delivery of my Parker 2320. I chose this boat for the open cockpit and the space availability it offers. I'm looking to mount a custom fixture for SCUBA gear. My understanding is the fuel tank is under the deck, so I may need to be selective about where the thru bolts can be planned on the fixture.

Does anyone have a diagram indicating where on the deck I can put thru bolts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi, I'm a new member awaiting delivery of my Parker 2320. I chose this boat for the open cockpit and the space availability it offers. I'm looking to mount a custom fixture for SCUBA gear. My understanding is the fuel tank is under the deck, so I may need to be selective about where the thru bolts can be planned on the fixture.

Does anyone have a diagram indicating where on the deck I can put thru bolts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi Wheels4896, Welcome to ClassicParker!.....
I had a SCUBA tank-rack mounted to the side gunnel in one of our previous boats (1978-1983). There was easy access to behind the panel where it was mounted.... If you are planning to thru-bolt to the cockpit/deck of your 2320, I don't think you'll have much access to the underneath of the decking unless you are planning to install extra 'pie-plates' or extra hatches where you'd want the thru-bolts; even then, there is not much 'hand-space' to work under there....

I dont know for new models if anything has changed over the years. One idea is contact Florida Marine Tank FMT and see if they are still making tanks fornew Parker boats and request tank and stringer drawings.

could you use SS T nuts ?

congrats on new Parker, too

Thank you! Upon further investigation it looks like it would be ok to mount above fuel tank as there is space between tank /deck. Seems to be where a lot of the bait tanks mount. Is this correct?

If you are planning to thru-bolt to the cockpit/deck of your 2320, I don't think you'll have much access to the underneath of the decking unless you are planning to install extra 'pie-plates' or extra hatches where you'd want the thru-bolts; even then, there is not much 'hand-space' to work under there....

Would almost definitely be having a pro do the install. Is there a down side to installing the pie plates or hatches under the fixture?

Would almost definitely be having a pro do the install. Is there a down side to installing the pie plates or hatches under the fixture?
I'd need to know more about the fixture, to make a useful comment and/or advise about that. I think you would want/need access to the pie-plates and/or hatches. SCUBA tank racks I have owned in the past, and also some I have seen on other boats did not require bolting through the deck/floor. They were mounted/bolted to the sides and gunnels of the boat. With Parker ('m thinking of our 2520; similar to your 2320) I would rig it/make it where I could mount a tank-rack where the tanks are 'upright' (not laying down) and attached to the side braces (aka 'rod' holder braces) and/or the bolted through the inner part of the gunnels with backing plates. There is easy 'hand-access' to the back side of the gunnel.

I'd need to know more about the fixture, to make a useful comment and/or advise about that. I think you would want/need access to the pie-plates and/or hatches. SCUBA tank racks I have owned in the past, and also some I have seen on other boats did not require bolting through the deck/floor. They were mounted/bolted to the sides and gunnels of the boat. With Parker ('m thinking of our 2520; similar to your 2320) I would rig it/make it where I could mount a tank-rack where the tanks are 'upright' (not laying down) and attached to the side braces (aka 'rod' holder braces) and/or the bolted through the inner part of the gunnels with backing plates. There is easy 'hand-access' to the back side of the gunnel.

First off thank you for discussing. The fixture in question will be approx 34"Lx26"Wx18"T. It will accommodate 6 vertical tanks and some other equipment (spearguns, bouys, fins, etc). I can send you a sketch if interested, but have attached a photo of what it will be modelled after.

I'm looking to mount in center of deck to preserve access to the rod holders in the gunnel and maximize fishability when tanks are on the boat.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 12
First off thank you for discussing. The fixture in question will be approx 34"Lx26"Wx18"T. It will accommodate 6 vertical tanks and some other equipment (spearguns, bouys, fins, etc). I can send you a sketch if interested, but have attached a photo of what it will be modelled after.

I'm looking to mount in center of deck to preserve access to the rod holders in the gunnel and maximize fishability when tanks are on the boat.
I now see why you need to bolt through the deck. I didn't know it was a 'free-standing' rack. The tank-racks I had, and others I am familiar with are 'single-row' and mount to a side/gunnels; not 'double-row' and free-standing. The only way I can see to be able to thru-bolt this rack would be to install 4 pie-plates ( 4 deck-hatched would take up too much 'real-estate') just outside the base of the rack, at each corner of the rack. Even then an issue will be having enough 'hand-space'/working room under the deck. It is tight on a 2520. Maybe more so on a 2320. And, you will be adding four more holes in the deck; potential leak points, especially with the extra 4 pie-plates in a high-traffic area. A lot of ClassicParker folks install large, heavy bait-wells in the center of their decks. Once they are full of water, they are significantly heavy (as are SCUBA tanks!).... Maybe someone here can offer advice on how they mounted the large bait-tanks.
In fact, there might be some in the Projects archive on this site.

A lot of ClassicParker folks install large, heavy bait-wells in the center of their decks. Once they are full of water, they are significantly heavy (as are SCUBA tanks!).... Maybe someone here can offer advice on how they mounted the large bait-tanks.
In fact, there might be some in the Projects archive on this site.

Very good call. Maybe one of them will notice this and be able to assist. I will look and see if I can find one, but if you have a link I would appreciate it.

I was thinking if they are able to do it, there must be a way to mount this too.

I recommend you consider epoxy bonding your machine screw fasteners into the deck. This advanced technique allows you to fasten deck hardware without access to the underside and can be strong and preserves the watertight integrity of the deck substrate. Does the manufacturer of your scuba rack have a recommended fastening schedule for your desired application? Thanks!

I recommend you consider epoxy bonding your machine screw fasteners into the deck. This advanced technique allows you to fasten deck hardware without access to the underside and can be strong and preserves the watertight integrity of the deck substrate. Does the manufacturer of your scuba rack have a recommended fastening schedule for your desired application? Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed response! This unit is going to be custom built. The manufacturer did state they can countersink holes where they recommend to mount.

Is this process something that a relatively handy/competent individual can do, or would you recommend having a pro do it?

The process is relatively simple and requires some knowledge of epoxy preparation and application. I suggest you search Google and YouTube for West System Fastener Bonding to learn more.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you gone to SeaSucker to look at what they have? They are a great company and I have used their products for years. Pretty sure they have a solution

Back