Deck paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptBeach

Reaction score
Time to paint the deck of my 2520. Scouring the interwebs I see different options, some pricey with average reviews, some woth excellent reviews. Even saw one guy who blogs about these things say save your $$$ and go with KILZ textured deck paint. Ideas? Experiences?

I plan on replacing the tank in the fall so leaning towards a low cost option as most if it will be ripped out and redone then. But its hideous now. Too porous and showes every stain and hard to clean.

I would go with Rust-Oleum topside paint in oyster white, especially if you are going to replace the deck after a season. There is a texture additive to go with that paint as well. You'll be done for less than $150 including rollers and masking tape.

Use THIS Nonskid added to you paint...... Add at a ratio of HALF of what it says on the can..... Do Not use Sand. Use a Foam roller..... Do Not use Box Store roller...... Use a West System roller cover or a Cover that is designed for epoxy finishes..... Even if your not using epoxy.... They don't fall apart and make a Cluster F@*k in the middle of your paint job.

Attachments

• 91MMGCne7dL._SL1500_.jpg
    91MMGCne7dL._SL1500_.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
Just put KiwiGrip on two boats and couldn't be more pleased with it. Very easy to go on and durable. A 4 liter box will cover about 80 sqft depending on how thick you put it on.

Beerbandit,

Kiwigrip is on my short list. What he did 4 liters cost you? Where did you buy it?

The Rustoleum products on the list too.

Got it for $121.80 with free shipping. I just searched online and found it for that price at The Impulse Shoppe. Most everywhere else is $147.90

I applied the Rustoleum with the Anti-Slip (I suggest adding only 1/4 of the can to half of a quart of paint). I put that down first and came back over with a second coat without the non-slip. This was a very recent application and I'm extremely pleased.

I'm restoring a 1998 Parker 1801 w/2006 Yamaha 115 FS. Going with a new color scheme and used a light gray for the deck with white gunwales. Big box store paint dept added black pigment to white for me to get the gray I wanted.

Haven't decided on my exterior color yet but plan on some shade of blue with a very light gray top cap. Leaning toward Stars & Stripes Blue or a powder blue.

I'll post pics asap.

Last edited:
So glad I read this post. Have to say, I’d ever usually co sided Ruat-oleum for my boat. Not sure why. I guess my mind just automatically thinks ‘cheap rattle can’!

I applied the Rustoleum with the Anti-Slip (I suggest adding only 1/4 of the can to half of a quart of paint). I put that down first and came back over with a second coat without the non-slip. This was a very recent application and I'm extremely pleased.

I'm restoring a 1998 Parker 1801 w/2006 Yamaha 115 FS. Going with a new color scheme and used a light gray for the deck with white gunwales. Big box store paint dept added black pigment to white for me to get the gray I wanted.

Haven't decided on my exterior color yet but plan on some shade of blue with a very light gray top cap. Leaning toward Stars & Stripes Blue or a powder blue.

I'll post pics asap.
Definitely looking forward to pics in this. I’ve got a 98’ 1800 too 🙂

After reading some of the comments.... Let me say.... The use of the Rustolem paint was for that short term project.... It was said that the deck will be cut out in the future.... I would NOT use the Rustoloum paint for longivity. I'd use Awlgrip with the Rustoloum non skid additive at half their recommended rate. BUT..... I have quit using Awlgrip.... and now use Tamco's High Impact. Hi-Impact Single Stage

I have little dings in my deck from fishing weights and other objects that have removed the coating. How should I go about fixing these small little blemishes and keep them water tight?

80gr on grinder.... I use air grinder with 2in Rolock disks... Then a layer of 1 1/2oz mat.

Attachments

• 20150530_092320.jpg
    20150530_092320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20150530_092329.jpg
    20150530_092329.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20150530_105438.jpg
    20150530_105438.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 20150530_113617.jpg
    20150530_113617.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Grind.... Clean ..... Laminate with "Torn" edge mat.... Not scissor cut.... Clean......sand ......prime......sand .......Paint.

Grind.... Clean ..... Laminate with "Torn" edge mat.... Not scissor cut.... Clean......sand ......prime......sand .......Paint.
Yes great advice, the torn edges of chopped mat laminate better than a scissor cut line.

Thank you for your suggestions. They are very small and only a couple dings, so I was thinking there might be a 2 part epoxy that fills little holes. I'm new to boating and I see great advice on this forum. Thank you againIMG_2823.jpeg

Finhead..... How extensive do you want to get into that ? Fix a baby spot or recoat the whole deck? Carefully feather that back slightly and Gellcoat it. But it will show.

Can't tell from the pic exactly where it is.
Check out Spectrum Color patch paste on Iboats web site.
They mix the color and send it to you. I have used it to fix small dings in gel coat. Not cheap for a few ounces but cheaper than trying to mix yourself. The color was correct when I used it. Minimal skills required but may help to watch some of their videos on using the stuff

Back