Difference in ride quality between 16 and 21 dead rise. Choppy waters mainly.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Skeeter

Reaction score
Trying to understand how big of a difference there is in ride quality between the two.

I’m mainly looking at buying a 2520 to take my family to the local barrier islands here on the gulf coast. Tight chop is common here.

I’ve read that people have put different trim tabs on 16 degree dead rise boats and they claim it makes the world of difference. Can anyone attest to this?

Also see XL’s with single 225s. That seems highly underpowered. (I had a 225 on my previous triton lts bay boat.) Does anyone run one of these? If so what do you think?

Also see XL’s with single 225s. That seems highly underpowered.

You would be correct and would devalue the boat. A Lot were rigged with 250's, But a 300 is the ticket.

Having had a Med deadrise on the Gulf Coast [Pensacola,Fl.] It worked, But I'd rather have the Deep one.

Does that answer your question?

Trying to understand how big of a difference there is in ride quality between the two.

I’m mainly looking at buying a 2520 to take my family to the local barrier islands here on the gulf coast. Tight chop is common here.

I’ve read that people have put different trim tabs on 16 degree dead rise boats and they claim it makes the world of difference. Can anyone attest to this?

Also see XL’s with single 225s. That seems highly underpowered. (I had a 225 on my previous triton lts bay boat.) Does anyone run one of these? If so what do you think?
I own 2520 Mod-V (16%) and have for many years. The Mod-V is a great boat on the drift but is gonna pound more while underway then the 21 degree boat. I obviously like my boat and have no desire/plans to replace it but if you’re still in the shopping phase, there are more reasons to buy a 21 over a 16 and when the time comes to sell , the deep V boat will IMO have more value and likely sell faster and for more $ then a Mod-V.

I ran a Yamaha F225 for 1800+ hours on my boat. I got where I needed to go BUT the boat was underpowered and struggled to get on plane with full fuel and a fishing or dive load. That F225 lived a tough life spending much of it’s life near WOT out of necessity. I repowered in 2019 with a Suzuki DF300APXX the improvement in performance is VERY noticeable in all aspects of operation. I can’t speak on how a single 300 runs on the 21 degree hull but I can say 1st hand that on the 16 degree boat, it performs well.

If you’re looking at used 2520s, that still have a used Yamaha F225 on them, you can almost guarantee that engine is gonna be tired and make sure that you read up on “Yamaha Midsection Exhaust Corrosion” it’s very prevalent in both F225 & F250s prior to about 2008ish….

I think the deep"er" V really shines in a tight chop. Swells not as much of a difference in my experience. My 21' se would be brutal w/out tabs, gotta use that steep bow entry to slice threw the chop a little.
As far as shallow water capability w/ the mod-v I don't think its much of a advantage. If it's 3' deep I'm not taking either hull in that depth.
I would get the deep v if it's in your cards but there is something to be said about drifting w/ a mod v which I do a lot of.

Back