Dinner With Dale

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was in the Boston area this week on a business trip.

Missed linking up with Dale my last trip, but this time we connected for dinner.

We discussed a lot of topics, but always seemed to come back to CP, the quality of the posts/threads...especially in the projects forum...and how well behaved the members are.

Discussed some server issues, and I encouraged him to ensure that our content is backed up. If the server ever crashes and has to be rebuilt, we would hate to lose all our content and the links to the many pictures documenting our projects.

Next time you obtain some good info about how to use your Parker, give Dale and his moderators a great big thank you. They provide a lot of service in the background that all of us depend on, and they do it out of love for their boats and the Parker boat owners community.

If you are ever in the Boston area, he knows a great Irish Pub with some great barley pop and Shepherd's Pie. :D :D :D

Dave

aka

Thanks DAVE!!! :D

O Ya
How about Irish breakfest
At the "Snug" in Hingham :D
Some sunday Ill buy
Just send a PM
Or anyone else :)

Cheers! Its a great site! Thanks Dale and all thse involved!

Discussed some server issues, and I encouraged him to ensure that our content is backed up. If the server ever crashes and has to be rebuilt, we would hate to lose all our content and the links to the many pictures documenting our projects.

Do we need donations for a back up server??

I would gladly contribute as I am sure others would, and I know Dale would never ask, so let us know. :D

Thank you for the hard work. It's an excellent site. This is my first salt water boat and ClassicParker has been a GREAT help.

Now what is the name of that Irish pub? Not the Eire per chance?

Well Dale, would some donations help to get-r-done? It doesn't hurt to throw it out there and see if it sticks.

After all the things you've done for us with this great site. It's more like a great boating community. I love this site and all I've learned and gained from it.

Any time funds are needed just ask. I am sure I can speak for a great

number of members. Just count us in. " Great Site "

" Bean "

Dave... Great post as always.

I can imagine that an evening dinner in a Boston area Irish pub with Dale would be a great evening indeed.
What a lucky bass-terd you are! :D

Dale
Thanks for this wonderful site.
If you need a donation to help keep it going just ask.
Capt Brian

Thanks guys for all of the kind words about this site :D !

It's been a number of years now, but somehow we've managed to stay away from the 'bilge' :shock: that has been the dearth, if not death, of more than a few once-great boating and/or fishing sites.

Dave gave us something really to consider, backing up a mirror image copy in case we ever lose the server ... as none of us want to lose the pictures and the project detail so many of you contribute to, and value.

I'm straight out this week, 12+ hour days, to midnight last night, but I'll put together something for a fund raising idea. Just to give you an idea, the annual server fees are $250/year and I have zero idea how much a backup program or system will run, and whether or not that's a 1-time purchase or an on-going one. And even if/when we do a fundraiser, I'd think some reasonable amount like $5 - $10 per person, whomever wanted to volunteer, would more than cover it. Maybe I can come up a "Friends of Classic Parker" or some special icon to list next to the Username for anyone who is kind enough to contribute.

Thank you to Dave, aka "Porkchunker", for dinner and a great evening, but also for the support and idea to backup our info to preserve our past and future!

... oh, we went to the Skellig, a great traditional Irish pub in Waltham, MA. It was brilliant! And it must be NUTS in there tonight :D ! Even to the bare wood floors, I thought I was back in Cork having a pint at the An Spailpean Fanach ... where I met my 1st Irish girlfriend (worked over there in early 90s), pronounced "Cha-von" phonetically, but spelled as Sibohan. Days later, I saw her name and laughed, I said "Sib-o-han", what the heck kind of name is that? I little porcelain cuties said in a litght lilt ... "Mmmmmm, that would be your girlfriend now there!" :oops:

skelligfront.jpg

Bryan 2530":9uga2ioh said:

Do we need donations for a back up server??

I would gladly contribute as I am sure others would, and I know Dale would never ask, so let us know. :D

I don't know the details behind the ISP service Dale is receiving. The ISP would normally provide a backup service FOR A FEE. If Dale or one of his moderators has to back it up remotely, it would take a high-speed connection (e.g., FiOS) and a lot of time (I'll assume that it is several gigs).

As far as donations, I recommended to Dale that he stop doing CP out of his own pocket, but figure out a way to at least make it cost-neutral. As for me, next time I buy a burgee or some koozies, I'll toss him an extra $25 to defray the costs of this great site.

Dave

aka

Dale,

Thanks again for a great site...and a great night in Waltham.

The Scottish Ale was better than any Guinness I've had. But...I'm of Scottish background. :D :D :D

The proper Gaelic of McGuffey is Mac A Fee, which properly translates to the Clan of Mac Phie...from the Isle of Colonsay. :D :D :D

Dave

aka

FYI, the 3rd Anniversary of Classic Parker was on Feb 15th!

And to address some of your concerns, I currently backup the database at least every couple of months, and make a complete mirror of the filesystem about once a month.

So knock on wood, if anything were to happen to the CP servers, it wouldn't be a total loss.

-- Tom

TomS":2vxtucu0 said:
... I currently backup the database at least every couple of months, and make a complete mirror of the file system about once a month.

So knock on wood, if anything were to happen to the CP servers, it wouldn't be a total loss.

I think donations to Tom is in order! What say ye ... ??

Back