Do I have to pull the boat out?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott-MD

Reaction score
Last year I pulled my 2520 /F225 out and winterized it after Christmas, and put it back in the water in early March--and there were a couple of days in February when I might have used it if it were easy. So now I'm wondering whether it's really essential to decommission it for a couple months. Ten years ago I lived on a boat in this area and stayed in the water all year long (although I had inboards and an engine compartment heater to make sure they didn't freeze). Tell me why that would be crazy, I'm sure there's a reason. I'm in the mid-Bay area.

Ice damage. Sun exposure. Easier maintenance. Battery maintenance. I'm sure there would be more reasons but I can't think of them...

Oh yeah! GIANT STRIPERS!!!

Spoke to my mechanic about this as well and he stated the same thing already mentioned in this thread-If it is going to be freezing drop the lower units into the water. Other than that he said there was not much else to be concerned about.

We will be leaving ours in all winter-2520XL w/twim yamahas. We plan on keeping a battery charger on board as well.

Can't sink (god forbid) if it's on the hard. Can you check the boat daily or every other min? Does your insurance policy cover you for in the water 12 month of the year? I would want a yes to both of these questions before I left her in all year. If you own a trailer and a ramp is close by I would pull her no matter what.

I'm also located in the mid-Bay and other than for a big snow or an ice storm (which could be a scary dangerous thing), I could probably leave the boat in the water and side-step the expense... but I'm not going to.

Four years ago I put a new bottom on my boat and two years ago, did it again. You would think I was good-to-go, right?
Nope. Last December when the boat was pulled and power washed, about half the bottom came off again.

The job had been done by two very reputable yards, so we got an opinion from the rep of the paint company...
The bottom was sanded completely and was prepped and painted using the paint company recommendations.

When she comes out this year, we are really going to be inspecting her bottom!

Point is... Although I pull the first week in December and go back in the first week in April, I take that time on the hard to go over everything, and I service or repair anything that needs it.
After service, she gets cleaned and waxed, because you can't do that in the water.

I just see my winter lay-up time as part of my normal maintenance cycle.
Is it required? Absent a big snow or ice storm - no. But it is something that I feel that I need to do.

Back