Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Any of you have a carbon monoxide alarm on your boat? Never had one but considering putting one in the boat.

Do you pick one up from a big box or do I need a marine grade one?

My boat is covered when not in used on trailer in front of the house if it matter.

Do you pick one up from a big box or do I need a marine grade one?

My boat is covered when not in used on trailer in front of the house if it matter.
I had used standard/household, non-marine on the last boat. They are easy to 'test', and cheap enough to replace when/if needed; just my experience, and opinion.
It was a larger boat, and was kept heated, cooled and dehumidified for the 28 years we owned it, if that matters?.... I replaced 'them' (we had three onboard) only once, and that was because the 'white' plastic housing turned 'yellow'; they still worked fine.... Some say to replace them more often; if so, they are inexpensive s so no biggy!

Last edited:
ABYC regulations call for marine grade units if they’re installed. For our normal pilothouse application, they’re not technically required, but if you’ll be overnighting on the boat running a generator or the engine, or moored/anchored near other people who are, I’d recommend one.

Of note with CO detectors: THEY EXPIRE. The date of expiration will be marked on the unit, or you may have to label it based on the date of installation, according to the instructions. The detector unit has a finite lifespan, so it’s much less likely to detect CO after its date. If CO is a concern, that’s not where I’d choose to punch pennies, given the cost of the units.

Back