Downriggers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albiejunkie

Reaction score
Hi all,
Was wondering, for those that use them, if you run wire in them or braid?
I have wire and hate it. I have lost weights due to weak spots.
Would love to use braid...

albiejunkie":kaesnut6 said:
Hi all,

I have used both and each has its own advantages. Personally I like the “sing” of the wire for adjusting speed by ear. Braid works very well and is quiet. It does not kink if a rookie is rigging. In the Great Lakes we have sea fleas which collect on the rugged cable. It’s easier to strip them off of wire easier and they tend to collect less on wire as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a local debate here as well. Some use 175# and others use #250. Personally I preferred the #250. A bit easier to handle without cutting fingers.

albiejunkie":1c0ifp3e said:
Hi all,

I’ve got Cannon Electric Tournament Series Downriggers. They came with wire and I found them to be nothing but a pain in the ass. Rerigged then with Cabela’s Downrigger Braid and it was a total game changer. Love them now....

Mpellet":3d57aa2j said:
albiejunkie":3d57aa2j said:
Hi all,

I’ve got Cannon Electric Tournament Series Downriggers. They came with wire and I found them to be nothing but a pain in the ass. Rerigged then with Cabela’s Downrigger Braid and it was a total game changer. Love them now....
correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the Canons have the positive ion control or is that certain models? If they do, the ion control will not work with braid. I use stainless wire on my Scotty’s only because I have seen what happens when you wrap that braid up in a prop. It’s very hard to get untangled and the stainless will break. You do need to change the stainless when you start seeing frayed line or kinks need to be cut and new terminal put on, but I usually get 2-3 years out of my wire, if I don’t have rookies or the wife trying to get the ball out and not keeping tension on the line which will cause the line to twist and kink.

FishWhisperer":25omvm0k said:
Mpellet":25omvm0k said:
albiejunkie":25omvm0k said:
Hi all,

correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the Canons have the positive ion control or is that certain models? If they do, the ion control will not work with braid. I use stainless wire on my Scotty’s only because I have seen what happens when you wrap that braid up in a prop. It’s very hard to get untangled and the stainless will break. You do need to change the stainless when you start seeing frayed line or kinks need to be cut and new terminal put on, but I usually get 2-3 years out of my wire, if I don’t have rookies or the wife trying to get the ball out and not keeping tension on the line which will cause the line to twist and kink.

You are correct “ion control” is lost and so is the auto retract feature. All I know is that dealing with that wire was a pain in the ass and cost me $$ in lost gear. I don’t know if “ion control “ matters in some fisheries but Ive personally caught more and bigger Stripe Bass with braid on my riggers then I ever did with wire. No “expert “ here but I personally would never use wire on a downrigger again, absolutely hated it.

Back