Drain plug stuck, help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both 4200 and 5200 have ripped gel coat off when I needed to remove, so pick your poison 🤪. I've started using life caulk or lifeseal after getting sick of doing gel coat repairs. Seems like caulk would be a good choice for your project too since you may be removing it AGAIN next winter hahhaha
Life Caulk or the Boat life caulk, good idea I forgot to mention that brand, thanks.
The drain plug area is now a scared spot. No touchy by strangers. 😉

Also, I don't think there is any wood in that location so no need to go crazy on the adhesive/sealants
Year ago when Dale was active here, he had great pics of the solid build and over-built wood on Parkers.
On my boat, the whole transom is encased sealed big beefy wood. Break the seal, ie: drill into, tap with screws, and trouble can start.

Year ago when Dale was active here, he had great pics of the solid build and over-built wood on Parkers.
On my boat, the whole transom is encased sealed big beefy wood. Break the seal, ie: drill into, tap with screws, and trouble can start.
Interesting. On every one I’ve seen, the area right at the bottom by the garboard drain is not cored, just for an area about the size of the drain itself. If you look from inside the bilge at that area, it’s noticeably thinner than the surrounding transom.

Regardless, if yours is cored, I’d highly suggest overdrilling and filling the screw holes with epoxy, then redrilling to the proper size for the screws.

Pettit AnchorTech adhesive sealant rather than the 3M or BoatLife stuff- I’m officially not going back to those two.

5200 absolutely. It does NOT make installations permanent. It is MEANT for permanent installation. That is what Parker probably used at the factory.

Interesting. On every one I’ve seen, the area right at the bottom by the garboard drain is not cored, just for an area about the size of the drain itself. If you look from inside the bilge at that area, it’s noticeably thinner than the surrounding transom.

Regardless, if yours is cored, I’d highly suggest overdrilling and filling the screw holes with epoxy, then redrilling to the proper size for the screws.

Pettit AnchorTech adhesive sealant rather than the 3M or BoatLife stuff- I’m officially not going back to those two.
I stand corrected it was such nice lay up of glass it looked like wood With out careful looks d light. Using a light yeah,there is a half moon like area pure glass and not the thick core I. The rest of transom. Smart by Parker helps to avoid any potential rot in this area.m

you jinxed me.
never had a stuck garboard plug before.
read this thread the other day and sure enuf, after a spectacular november weekend fishing i decided to pit up the 2501 for the winter today.
vice grips that usually work no.
regular wrench no.
it took the pipe wrench.

4200 is best choice. Use 5200 only if you’re SURE it’s never coming off again. That’s why we call it “52 billion”

4200 is best choice. Use 5200 only if you’re SURE it’s never coming off again. That’s why we call it “52 billion”
I most respectfully disagree. This would be THE perfect application for 5200. Below waterline with excellent strength, yet remains flexible. This item is subject to stress twice every trip, and you want the sealant to be part of the attachment system. Gemlux uses it.

Not a lot of experience with 4200
Huge amount with 5200

4200 may be good enough and possibly a better choice with the shorter cure time

" don't let perfect get in the way of good enough "

I read through most of the 3 pages, but not all. So in case I missed someone else saying it ill post it here. 2 years ago we hired a new "tech" who put every bit of muscle he could on the drain plugs when launching....unbeknownst to us. Well about 8 boats came out after the season (the tech was no longer with us), we came across a problem with frozen plugs. Monkey wrenches would round the brass plugs out, my solution was drilling a 3/8" hole down the center and using an extractor and my tap sockets with a long 3/8 breaker bar or ratchet and it would come on out. No heat needed or to replace the flange.

It also appears that some folks Still do not have good working knowledge of 3M's 5200 & 4200.....There is also 4200 Fast.
I’m going to continue shouting about Pettit’s AnchorTech line from the rooftops. That stuff is the bomb.com. One red-tube adhesive sealant (like 5200), one blue-tube UV resistant sealant (like 4200), and gray-tube high quality marine grade silicone (don’t use silicone). Simple, easy, less than 24hrs to fully cure, doesn’t cure in the tube. I’ve used the same tube of red AnchorTech for about 4 months now.

If you put 5200 / 4200 in the fridge after use it will last a very long time. Several years.

Sit out to warm up before use. It gets too thick to come out of the tube when cold.

Same with silicone.

Recommend the garage fridge. Other fridge causes domestic disputes.

And wipe off threads with mineral spirits before storing.

If you put 5200 / 4200 in the fridge after use it will last a very long time. Several years.

Sit out to warm up before use. It gets too thick to come out of the tube when cold.

Same with silicone.

I try not to mix and match, food, bait, chum and ice in my 4 chest freezers to reduce domestic disputes.

Lucky to have so many freezers.
After shrimping I put some ice in garage fridge to use fishing another time.
Got the bags mixed up and dumped into a cooler with food.
Didn’t turn out well.

Same with silicone.

Or, you can do absolutely nothing with AnchorTech and achieve the same results 😂 It’s also cheaper.

Back