Dual vs Triple axle trailer for 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildTails

Reaction score
Getting a 2520 with twins and deciding between a triple & dual axle trailer. Wondering what trailer set up others are using for this boat model and pros/cons of each option.

Axels are related to weight requirements. I have done quite a bit of towing in my time. In my opinion go dual axel. Dual gives you the safety with a flat or blow out. I carry two spares. Tri axel gives you two more tires and hubs to maintain. I change my tires every 3 to 4 years, regardless of how they look. Trailer tires deteriorate from the inside out. They can look perfect on the outside, but falling apart within. The tires on the trailer take a considerable lateral load when turning, Tri axel makes it worse. Go with Goodyear endurance, load range E and you will be golden. Your rig is not that heavy to warrant tri axel.

Go Heavier rated Dual axle. Tri Axle trailers are VERY Hard on tires....To the tune of at least 1 per year. Why? Because when your manuvering it literately tries to tear a tire off the wheel...sideways.

Can anyone share the trailer specs for a 2520 xld (deep v)? Specifically inside width between the main bunks and distance from beginning of the front bunk to end of the rear bunks.

You want a trailer for a 30ft boat and Dual axles rated for 12,000lbs
Thanks. We decided to use our old trailer and modify it for the New Parker 2520 xld (deep v) which we are picking up in a couple days. The trailer is a triple axel and currently has a 30ft century sport cabin on it. The century has less of a deadrise and is a couple inches wider. We want to make sure the bunks are spaced properly before putting the Parker on.

Then you have experiance with a Tri-axle......LOL :)

yup. But wasn’t sure at first if we were going to buy a new dual axle trailer for the Parker or try to use our existing one so we were weighing the pros/cons of each a few months ago.. I read somewhere else that 51 inches is between the inside of the back two bunks so hoping that is accurate. If not, someone please confirm. Thanks so much

A tri-axle has advantages and disadvantages.

Tri-axle you can use smaller diameter wheels which will allow the boat to need less water to launch and retrieve.
It will also pull straighter.

More expense. Tires, bearing maintenance, seals etc.
It will wear more on the rear tires but unless you are into thousands of miles it will be minimal. Normal rotation will take care of this. Trailer tires are changed after about five years anyway if you run any long distances. My longest regular pull was to the Keys, about 450 miles one way.

BTW the new Goodyear Endurance tires are great.

You need to measure your total overall length from the tip of the bow to the back of your engines. I have a Parker 2520 Deep Vee pilot house boat with the extended platform with twin Evinrude G2 outboards. My LOA, Length Over All, is 33’ 2”. I purchased a tri-axle trailer that can accommodate up to a 34 foot boat and I needed every inch of it to have my boat fit on the trailer and be center weighted. I don’t travel far. All axles have brakes and it’s a great fit.

You want a trailer for a 30ft boat and Dual axles rated for 12,000lbs
Measure your LOA and then make darn sure you know where the center weight is as they can be back heavy. If its back heavy it will have to center on a trailer up to 36 feet. What you put under the boat is the most important item. Don't nickel and dime and go cheap on this.

Back