electric streer 300ho Yamaha motor

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery Creek

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 2320 but would like to get the new Yamaha 300hp motor with electric steering. The 2021 model 2320 that i am looking at still has hydraulics. When is Parker going to make this transition?

Looks like you started two separate threads on the same topic?

I just got the 2021 2320SC and was delighted it actually still came with the hydraulic steering system, while I did get the new throttles and the new CL5 gauges - best of both worlds, for now. The last thing I would want is to be the version 0 beta tester of anything Yamaha makes, especially as critical as steering - there is literally zero data on its real world performance, yet.

Besides, the hydraulic makes more sense with the second station (steering is always on on both, no need to go in neutral with the active throttle to switch the station), and it affords actual choices of autopilot add-on system, as opposed to whatever Yamaha will provide.

not to mention the reliability of it - just thinking of electric gremlins possibly causing steering issues... with no mechanical linkage between the helm and the outboard steering? - no thank you.

There is a reason hydraulic steering, as well as brakes, have been slow to be replaced by electric systems in automobiles.

--

Last edited:

I just got the 2021 S2320SC and was delighted it actually still came with the hydraulic steering system, while I did get the new throttles and the new CL5 gauges - best of both worlds, for now. The last thing I would want is to be the version 0 beta tester of anything Yamaha makes, especially as critical as steering - there is literally zero data on its real world performance, yet.

Besides, the hydraulic makes more sense with the second station (steering is always on on both, no need to go in neutral with the active throttle to switch the station), and it affords actual choices of autopilot add-on system, as opposed to be stuck with whatever Yamaha will provide.

not to mention the reliability of it - just thinking of the electric gremlins,a nd the steering gone bad... with no mechanical linkage between the helm and the outboard steering? - no thank you.

There is a reason hydraulic steering, as well as brakes, have been slow to be replaced by electric systems in automobiles.

--
thanks, yes i don't know how to delete the redundant thread but found a better location to start the conversation.

What is the advantage of hydraulic steer? Is there a mechanical linkage between steering and motor? I thought it was just hydraulically driven. If it is just hydraulic then i think that the hydraulics are powered by electric pump so if you loose electric you loose hydraulic anyway.

I think that this is an electric servo worm drive design but i am not sure. If it is a worm drive that tehcnology has been used in industry for decades and is well proven, very sturdy, and reliable.

Thanks for any information you have as i am new to boats

I just got the 2021 S2320SC and was delighted it actually still came with the hydraulic steering system, while I did get the new throttles and the new CL5 gauges - best of both worlds, for now. The last thing I would want is to be the version 0 beta tester of anything Yamaha makes, especially as critical as steering - there is literally zero data on its real world performance, yet.

Besides, the hydraulic makes more sense with the second station (steering is always on on both, no need to go in neutral with the active throttle to switch the station), and it affords actual choices of autopilot add-on system, as opposed to whatever Yamaha will provide.

not to mention the reliability of it - just thinking of electric gremlins possibly causing steering issues... with no mechanical linkage between the helm and the outboard steering? - no thank you.

--
I am looking to purchase a 2320 but would like to get the new Yamaha 300hp motor with electric steering. The 2021 model 2320 that i am looking at still has hydraulics. When is Parker going to make this transition?
Dittos on Swatski's comments..... Most new technologies will have glitches and 'issues'; especially with electrically controlled components. I'd stay with the tried-and-true hydraulics. Just my 2cents....

thanks, yes i don't know how to delete the redundant thread but found a better location to start the conversation.

What is the advantage of hydraulic steer? Is there a mechanical linkage between steering and motor? I thought it was just hydraulically driven. If it is just hydraulic then i think that the hydraulics are powered by electric pump so if you loose electric you loose hydraulic anyway.

I think that this is an electric servo worm drive design but i am not sure. If it is a worm drive that tehcnology has been used in industry for decades and is well proven, very sturdy, and reliable.

Thanks for any information you have as i am new to boats
The seastar hydraulic steering in PArkers works without electric, both helms.

The seastar hydraulic steering in PArkers works without electric, both helms.
I was not aware of that, like i said boat are new to me. That is a an opinion changer, this hydraulic system is better for me. I really appreciate that information. Thanks!

I was not aware of that, like i said boat are new to me. That is a an opinion changer, this hydraulic system is better for me. I really appreciate that information. Thanks!
We just added the Garmin AP to complement the whole Garmin setup from factory. I have not had a chance to go play with it much, yet, beyond just getting out with the installer for calibration and functional checks, but will report soon. It seems super smooth.

These boats ride pretty rough, in some regards. They are sluggish to get up on plane, and the cabin noise (augmented by the front bilge - an empty box just underneath your feet) augments the "pounding" effect, which is frequently mentioned with these boats; in actuality, the ride is not bad at all - except the helm is very far fore, so basically the helm is in the bow.

My hydraulic steering is butter smooth. I take comfort in the fact that if any issues should arise I can get this system serviced in virtually any marine shop, as most marine mechanics are familiar with it.

In general, I think Yamaha is as good (or better) than any other marine manufacturer, but are very thinly stretched across their moto-atv-boats-outboards platforms with a gazzilion-strong product line, and competitive pressure from Mercury - it's interesting to note this new electric steering and reverse enhancements in the 4.2 Yamaha came on the cusp of the "big" Mercury V12 announcement.

I just got the 2021 2320SC and was delighted it actually still came with the hydraulic steering system, while I did get the new throttles and the new CL5 gauges - best of both worlds, for now. The last thing I would want is to be the version 0 beta tester of anything Yamaha makes, especially as critical as steering - there is literally zero data on its real world performance, yet.

--
what would be the advantage of electric??
I had a couple of boats with Pnuematic electric with multiple stations and cable backups but they were all over 150'
electric in an outboard set up ???

what would be the advantage of electric??
I had a couple of boats with Pnuematic electric with multiple stations and cable backups but they were all over 150'
electric in an outboard set up ???
No leaks with the electric; that's a biggie.

The disadvantage of the new DES bolt-on electric is added weight on the bracket, somewhere between 50-100lbs, for the module. And the lack of track record, plus no choices on the AP.

The electric steering on the 425 actually use planetary gears and is not servicevable. I've also been on a boat with with the electronic steering that I believe will take over the hydraulic on anything 200hp or less. When I was at my optimus training they had electric steering on triple 300 yamis and it was spot on. Dometic owns seastar now and thats where yamaha originally bought helmaster from. Here's a picture from 2 years ago while I was at class and it was still in testing

They also have they're own trim tab system coming out which was much more user friendly than lenco or Bennett that we got to test....but I don't see this In the market yet

Attachments

• 20191113_090225.jpg
    20191113_090225.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20191113_092340.jpg
    20191113_092340.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 23
Back