Electric Winch Question: Switch from cable to strap?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
I have an older Powerwinch (I believe a 912 model) that utilizes a cable for winching. This past summer, I became increasingly concerned about the amount of tension placed on this cable during loading and began to worry about the possibility of this cable one day simply snapping and removing my head.

While I believe my upcoming weekend project of replacing all my wobble rollers will HOPEFULLY greatly improve the amount of effort it takes to pull the boat up onto the trailer, I am still considering the idea of transitioning from a cable to a strap.

1) I think it's safer.
2) I believe a stap would make offloading the boat smoother (it takes a lot of effort to generate slack in the cable to ultimately unhook from the bow eye).
3) A strap wouldn't bind up like the cable. There is no level wind attachment on the winch. As such, you have to either guide the cable onto the drum (which is VERY tough when under tension) or you have to deal with high spots and potential space/height issues (where too much cable lays on one side).

Questions I have:

1) With a 2110 (fully loaded) - what strap would I need (strenghth wise)?
2) Is this something commonly (enough) done? IE- is there is a reason I couldn't change from cable to strap? Is there some operataional feature of the winch that makes this a bad idea?
3) I am not sure about how my drum is configured but at a minimum, i believe I could find a way to attach the strap (however, I believe there is a bolt holding the cable in place that I could utilize).

Anyone done this or is there anyone who could offer their opinion?

A strap is so much safer that I would never consider using a cable these days.
No kinking, no metal splinters, and most likely stronger too.

Put the widest strap that will fit on your drum and call it a day.

1) I think it's safer.
2) I believe a stap would make offloading the boat smoother (it takes a lot of effort to generate slack in the cable to ultimately unhook from the bow eye).
3) A strap wouldn't bind up like the cable. There is no level wind attachment on the winch. As such, you have to either guide the cable onto the drum (which is VERY tough when under tension) or you have to deal with high spots and potential space/height issues (where too much cable lays on one side).

1) A straps is easier on your fingers and won't whip back at you like a cable if it breaks under load.
2) I've yet to experience a problem generating slack with a strap.
3) I've had cables bind, but never a strap (yet).

I'm not sure you can convert the Powerwinch from cable to strap as I always bought my winches with a strap. I can tell you to check out Dutton Lainson strap winches if you are replacing the Powerwinch. I've had both and consider the Dutton Lainson a better product.

Hope this helps.

I don't think I am going to replace the winch itself - simply removing the old cable and installing a new strap. All the reasons you both offered - I agree with completely.

In my mind, I can't see why it matters. The motor/gearing/drum don't really care tmaterial they are pulling on - whether it's cable or strap. They will operate the same either way. AT LEAST, this is how I see it. I don't see how their function would change.

The only hiccup is attaching the strap. I BELIEVE the drum currently has a hole through to which you slide in the cable end. As you reel it cable under tension - it more or less binds itself in place.

I could use that hole to attach the strap with a through bolt and washer. Might not be 100% asthically pleasing but after a few wraps - it would likely be a none issue. Same as with the cable, once you get a few wraps on the drum under tension - it should bind itself in place.

The question I need anwered is what kind of strenght strap do I need to utilize? I can estimate the weight of a 2110 but it wouldn't be pulling that as dead/drop weight. It's on rollers so that stap should only see a percentage of the boats dead weight.

Is there a measure for this? Is there a value that will certainly work? At this point, the pricing differences between staps of different strengths is minimal. As long as it fits width wise, I don't carry if it carries 5x the capacity I need it to (assuming it allows for enough length).

I get mine @ mcmaster.com
Search for winch strap.
Their 2" is rated about 4000#. That will be plenty but if you can fit the 3" I'd go with it.

Dumb question .............

Everything is advertised as "working load" and "breaking strength"? Nothing is showing up (atleast on the two sites I was shopping) as showing a working load over 4K. Everything was around 3k.

Call Powerwinch. They used to package a #5500 rated strap with hook in a kit to convert your 912 from cable to strap.

Looking at the parts to repair my 912 and the price for a strap - it's going to be close to $150. I found a 1 year old Model 712 close to me for $250/obo.

I would think this would work.

Max. Boat Weight
7500 lbs
Line Speed
14 FPM
Vertical Lift Capacity
2400 lbs
Remote Control
No
Light
No
Double Line Capacity
4300 lbs
Gear Ratio
225:1
Power Source
12V
Circuit Breaker
60 amp
Unit Weight
33 lbs
Depth
10"
Width
10"
Height
8"
Cable Length and Diameter
20'x 7/32"

Also got a lead on an RC23. Might go with the replacement route.

Hannibal, the 712 Powerwinch will not live long pulling your 2110 on your trailer. I used a 912 powerwinch to pull my 23SE. With a 2 part line the 912 was loaded. I put a Dutton-Lainson SA12000 on my trailer to pull up my 2520XL. It pulls it up without any strain at all. As far as a strap goes, yes I like the idea of a strap, but when the drum get full of strap, your winch will lose leverage quickly and will be in a strain. My trailer originally had a strap winch which I had problem with the strap loading to one side and wanting to fold in half. If your boat isn't perfectly straight, the strap would want to climb the side of the drum. Decided to go back to a cable winch and run a 2 part cable. Takes a couple of extra minutes and much easier on the winch.

Charlie,
Eden, Maryland

Charlie... when you say '2-part cable', do you mean you're using a single shiv snatch block to increase the pull capacity?

Nick... that is very slick. Love it.

I also like the turnbuckle safety.
I had one on my last trailer boat, but mine went down to the trailer frame to keep the bow from 'bouncing' over the road.

Yes. A snatch block or pulley. I've noticed that if the boat slid back a little when you pull out from the ramp, just bump your brakes and she'll slide up to the bow stop. I've got my trailer adjusted to the point that the boat rolls too easy.

Charlie,
Eden, Maryland

Back