Electronic Kill Switches

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inshore Chaser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for some input from current users/researchers or past users of electronic kill switches. Often I fish alone and would feel much safer having an electronic kill switch over the lanyard. However, I also do not want to introduce any problems/hassles with the use of my boat. I have been looking at installing the Fell/Mercury 1st Mate system. Right now the 1st Mate is my choice due to being developed by Fell and Mercury (offered as an option with new Mercs), no holes necessary in the dash, more robust bluetooth connection (WIMEA?), plug and play with Yamaha (no splicing necessary plugs into ignition harness), phone app to control as well as FOB, and the ability to update firmware, etc. via cell phone. The FOB on the 1st mate does not have to be connected to the hub to start the motor....and no override process necessary. Advice welcome!

Looking for some input from current users/researchers or past users of electronic kill switches. Often I fish alone and would feel much safer having an electronic kill switch over the lanyard. However, I also do not want to introduce any problems/hassles with the use of my boat. I have been looking at installing the Fell/Mercury 1st Mate system. Right now the 1st Mate is my choice due to being developed by Fell and Mercury (offered as an option with new Mercs), no holes necessary in the dash, more robust bluetooth connection (WIMEA?), plug and play with Yamaha (no splicing necessary plugs into ignition harness), phone app to control as well as FOB, and the ability to update firmware, etc. via cell phone. The FOB on the 1st mate does not have to be connected to the hub to start the motor....and no override process necessary. Advice welcome!
I installed the Fell MOB+ system in the 1700: 1997 1700 Overhaul Project. Unless you really want the added features of the 1st Mate system such as the security feature and the smartphone compatibility (at significant additional cost), the MOB+ is probably your better bet for a simple wireless kill switch. The installation is super simple: one hole in the dash, two very easy wire splices, power to the unit and you're in business. I believe the 1st Mate and the ACR OLAS system both use black box "hub" units, so either of those systems is going to come with additional wiring and mounting headaches. The "override process" to start the engine without the fob is as simple as holding the button down for 10 seconds. I've been very happy with it's functionality so far, absolutely no complaints. Unless you're really interested in the smartphone compatibility, this is the way I'd go.

I don't have any input about the kill switch stuff.....But about reboarding the boat.....Alone.

Do you have access to a ladder? Can you get onboard without assistance?

I bring this up because lots of boats use a PoGo stick style ladder....It's stored onboard and must be put in place.....Not gonna happen if your in the water alone.

I don't have any input about the kill switch stuff.....But about reboarding the boat.....Alone.

Do you have access to a ladder? Can you get onboard without assistance?

I bring this up because lots of boats use a PoGo stick style ladder....It's stored onboard and must be put in place.....Not gonna happen if your in the water alone.
Good thought. I have a swim step with an integrated ladder. Very easy to use. The new std. Parker ladders are very functional.

Back