Enthol vs non-enthol

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msudigala

Reaction score
Probably a silly question. What are some thoughts on what gas to put in boat. Will have a 2022, 2320 sc with yamaha 300. Website states 89 octane.

Probably a silly question. What are some thoughts on what gas to put in boat. Will have a 2022, 2320 sc with yamaha 300. Website states 89 octane.
Short answer, NON ethanol, Marine Fuel Only, 90 octane in my area. You risk a very nasty "Phase Separation " in your vented non pressurized fuel tank with ethanol gas mixture.

I live in Washington state and Non-E is still fairly readily available.
I will only put E-Free fuel in my Parker’s 2320 tank.
My 2016 Yamaha 300, 89 is recommended but I haven’t had any problems running 87.

Tens of thousands of boaters in the Northeast run ethanol exclusively, there is no other option. I’m not saying that there are no ethanol issues but they’re not frequent and virtually nonexistent amongst people with engines and fuel systems that are not antiques who use their boats on a regular basis. Generally the folks who make a big deal about ethanol live in states where non ethanol fuel is available at a higher price. They buy the more expensive non ethanol fuel and then need to convince themselves and others that the extra expenses is worth it.

I’m not pushing ethanol in fact it’s existence is nothing but a demonstration that lobbying $$ can make policy even if the policy is ridiculous but ethanol is not the big bad engine destroying danger in a modern engine with a modern fuel system that some folks try to make it......

Last edited:
I agree I’m fortunate to have the choice. But I tried the ethanol gas fuel dance in the past on my last boat. Caused me a some headaches and shop bill, mostly with my kicker engine.

E free is more dependable in the long run. I had a tank sit for 8 months once and everything ran like a champ when I used my boat again. I can’t say the same for ethanol fuel.

The problem with ethanol is its susceptible to water. If I ran ethanol I would look/ask around for a good stabilizer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Split decision here. I only run ethanol free in my 1800, which now lives on a trailer - but even when it was kept in a lift, I stuck to ethanol free. There is only one station near me that sells non E (Southern States co-op in Windsor, VA) and it is about 20 miles of back country roads to get there and trailering the 1800 there or running up there to fill 5 gallon tanks is a hassle, but doable. Now the 2520 is staying in the lift and I just ain't toting that volume of gas down the pier. The 200 XCA's on her recommend 89 octane also and I have been getting fuel from Leeward Marina in Newport News (run by the city) which is 89 octane and has stabilizer in it. They also turn over their fuel frequently as they provide fuel for the Marine patrol, police and the shipyard security boats. I also add Yamaha Ring Free with each fill up. So far I have had no problems. I do think the key is to use your boat as much as possible. Letting a boat sit is the hardest thing on a motor.

Cap'n Dan

https://www.pure-gas.org/
I run 91 Octane Non Ethanol in EVERYTHING I own.
'15 F150 3.5 EB gets 2MPG better around town
'07 Mustang GT gets 3MPG better around town.

Fuel separation starts in 30days, as well as Octane dropping.

So your recommended 89 that you pumped is less than 89 in 30days.

Now here the real world happening.

You fill your boat up....You go boating and burn 25% of the tank out. You have intentions to go boating next weekend.
And then life gets in the way.....Always something that changes your plans. So the boat sits for 3 months.....or longer.... Fuel separation has happened.... Engine will not run correctly. High Pressure fuel pump has locked up due to this in it's resivor. Yea....I had this happen on a used engine I bought.

$500 for a new pump.......Marine shop rates are well over $100hr.

So....How much gas can you buy to make up for the repairs....and how much down time and aggravation?

Simply put and politics aside...Ethanol isnt better for anything (unless designed/intended for it).
If you have Ethanol free available and easily accessable use it.
As for the claims they have already added ring-free...I doubt that. I'd like to see the 55 gallon drums on the premises or the invoice from the delivery tanker.
Any Ethanol free near me is 100 octane and pricey but its what I'll top off with to mix in with last falls fuel before I drop it in the water.

Last edited:
If you've ever heard the sound of a gummed up motor from ethanol, you would pay the extra for non-ethanol every time

Geez, lots of gloom and doom! lol

There is zero debate Ethanol-free fuel performs better, and is preferable, overall.

Many of us do not have a choice.

Yamaha knows that.

All new Yamaha motors come with a fuel filter/water separator built-in under the cowling, which is serviceable and a PM item. Most setups have an additional fuel filter/separator in the bilge.

Given proper maintenance there is no worry with E10 gas. Ask anyone who boats in the midwest or northeast.

--

Very little doubt that non-E is better. Bigger and newer engines can tolerate it, but older, or two stroke, or small kickers are much happier. And your land based small engines, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc. are MUCH happier with non-E. As noted above, it only takes one trip to the shop to cancel out all the savings you could ever get from buying cheaper gas.

This is a recurring discussion and will not go away. EPA allowed 15% ethanol and some gas stations will have small stickers that people may miss. Is supposed to be for automobiles but people that tow boats may mistake it when it gets in the market.

10% I used to run in MA. In WI there are two stations within 3 miles of me with 91 octane ethanol-free. I put it in all the lawn equipment. Goes in the boat the few times I tow it to a station or on the lake there is only ethanol-free at 89 octane. In the summer I use the marina's fuel.

I knew of people with engine problems. Is hard to fully pin point since you do not know all the particulars of the owner, the boat, the engine condition... In general I prefer to avoid it, personally.

You fill your boat up....You go boating and burn 25% of the tank out. You have intentions to go boating next weekend.
And then life gets in the way.....Always something that changes your plans. So the boat sits for 3 months.....or longer.... Fuel separation has happened.... Engine will not run correctly. High Pressure fuel pump has locked up due to this in it's resivor. Yea....I had this happen on a used engine I bought.

So....How much gas can you buy to make up for the repairs....and how much down time and aggravation?
A friend of mine in the Keys saved a $1000 dollars putting cheaper ethanol fuel in his boat and 8 months later spent $1200 repeatedly removing and cleaning the water from the tank, replacing all fuel/water seperators. The water float alarm on the 300 Yamaha was triggered, almost got sucked into the engine. Not a pleasant experience. I drain the petcock on my Racor filter every other trip and remove a half a teaspoon of crud/water even with the marine fuel. I replace the filter every 50 hours.

I ran a 3 month experiment filling my car every week with marine fuel then alternating to ethanol. I got 3% better gas mileage matching the EPA data on non ethanol vs ethanol.

In the humid south it is a terrible thing for boats, generators , small engines. A guy at a marina half filled a jar with ethanol fuel. Put it in front of a fan. The fuel separated a few hours later. Ethanol is hygroscopic. The extra cost is worth it, in my opinion.

Up North you just think you have humidity. Come down here (Florida) in June thru October and see what humidity really is.

There's is no debate. Pump E15 won't hurt modern engines.
I got 3% better gas mileage matching the EPA data on non ethanol vs ethanol.
Thats to be expected, less btu's with E10.
I have an E85 car and It's a huge difference between fill-ups vs E10.
On the new car window sticker the MPG rating says in small print "calculated using non-ethanol fuels"

Last edited:
Ethanol is hydroscopic which means that it will “absorb” water up to a threshold then will phase separate out—hence the magic show. This is why I keep my tank near empty and fill up whatever I need for the trip plus safety margin on the day of the trip. I get fresh gas and any water in the tank will be absorbed by the ethanol and burned off. I have been keeping my tank empty over the winter for 20 years now any never get more than a few drops of water in the Raycor.

As to the white powder problem, I have come to the conclusion that it was caused by residual contaminants in fabricating the aluminum tank.

My last Grady, a 2015, had stickers on the fuel filler and a section in the Yamaha manual stating in bold print to not use E15. It said that E10 was acceptable, if non-E was not available. Probably 30-40% of the gas stations here have non-E, all the lawn service guys use nothing else. My cousin's Toyota Avalon will set the check engine light if she doesn't use non-E. Marina gas is all non-E, here and at the coast.

Back