F150 Engine Trim Indicator on Tack Gauge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcir

Reaction score
Just finished the 10 hour break in period on with the F150 4 stroke on my 2007 2120 SC. The engine trim indicator on the console Tach Gauge showed the trim position from all up to all down just fine for the first 10 hours.

Today the indicator on the Tach Gauge will only go up about half way and goes no further. Trimming the motor up with the on motor switch brings the engines all the way up (and down) but the indicator still shows half way. Same with the trim switch on the shifter. The gauge works okay from the half way position to all the way down.

I am in the water so it is a hassle to get it to the nearest dealer here in Nashville so I'm looking for a simple in the water fix. Or I'll learn to just live with it for awhile. Thanks.

If you look on the tilt tube (tube running through the mounting bracket on which the motor rotates), you will find a small black plastic ring. The ring has a nub projecting from it that engages a black plastic switch on the motor frame. The ring is probably loose and has slipped and therefore is no longer "calibrated." I had one of those rings crack, allowing it to rotate freely around the tilt tube. I had the ring replaced this winter when Tri-State Marine in Deale, MD did the service and winterization. I believe it is part #32 in this Yamaha on-line parts diagram: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

Another possible problem may be with the switch that the nub on the ring engages. There might be some trash behind it that won't allow it to rotate fully. It is part #3 in this Yamaha on-line parts diagram: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

Oops. Those links only get you to the parts home page. You have to enter the type, year, and model. To understand what I said above, poke in Outboard, 2001 Outboard, F115TXRZ. Once the page comes up, select bracket 1 for part #32 and and bracket 2 for part #3.

Thanks Porkchunker. I do have a CD with some of the Yammie service manuals on it so it was easy to find the trim tab sensor from your description of the "bracket". It shows how to adjust the trim tab sensor cam till the electrical resistance is in specs too. So if mine is cracked, should be easy to see or if it just slipped should be able to reset it.

Probably be back out on the water this week as I found a Coleman golf cart cataylitic gas heater that fits perfectly between the berths and cuts out the chill. Just below freezing out now but water here is only 46 degrees.

My trim gauge problem on my new 150 had nothing to do with the trim gauge or the monting strap nor the wiring. It was all in the Yamaha Command Link Tack gauge. Apparently if it senses low voltage it may reset the trim gauge bars incorrectly. And I did run a battery low one day.

I just followed the set up procedure (must have been done originally and correctly by my dealer) and all is hunky dorrie. Just follow the darn directions and it amazes me how well things can work.

.........Pete

Back