Fender Storage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
To me, fender storage has always been a battle between easy of deployment and finding some out-of-way storage location, specially on a fishing boat! I mean, if my boat was a battle cruiser or such, I'd most probably have fender racks off the bow rails. I finally came up with a workable, easy DIY solution.

In three locations under the washboards, 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other, I added a length of 1" black strap webbing about 18" long. I buy the webbing in bulk and sear/seal the edges where I cut it with a razor knife with a lighter or grill starter. The long strap is secured with a fender washer and a screw, right in the center of the rubrail and towards the outside of the boat, but from the inside of the boat. On the inside vertical gunnel, I put a loop of strap that has the lock fastener and this is simply a oval-head bolt, finish washer and a nylok, all #6 hardware.

In the pictures they are not pulled up tight (forward is way loose), just showing the concept, but when pulled tight, and these are 10" heavy duty fenders ... they almost "disappear" on the boat ;) ! I think my total install cost was ~ $5 and my local hardware (ACE) had all the parts).

In use I simply/loosely wind the line around the top of the fender and place up under the washboards. Grab the long end hanging down and put thru the cam lock buckle (see below), pull tight, lock cam ... and down - out of the way.

Plastic%20Cam%20Buckle%20Assort.jpg

Note that due to this install, I could not use those deck lights on a string like Capt Kevin uses, so I have larger "double bullseye" LED red lights positioned a few feet in from each end of the gunnels, mounted on the ribs that hold the rod holders ... the LEDs were only $6.50 each @ Super Brights LEDs.

mdb-r12.jpg

Attachments

• Fender-Storage2 (Small).jpg
    Fender-Storage2 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,763
  • Fender-Storage1 (Small).jpg
    Fender-Storage1 (Small).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 3,763
Nice idea Dale. I wish I had room under my washboards, but on the stbd side I have my cockpit driving station, and on the port side I have fishing gear...

Still, you've given me an idea that I might be able to adapt inside my v-berth. Guess I'd better put it on my 'project list'.

I know what you mean about fender racks.
This is what we did at work...

Image-045887C1C73311DA.jpg

Megabyte":90fy367z said:
I wish I had room under my washboards ... on the port side I have fishing gear...
Yeah, I should have mentioned I have room for 6 rods up on the rocket launcher on the hardtop, 9 washboard/gunnel-mounted rod holders, and another 3 vertical rod holders on the cockpit tackle station. If I need room for > 18 rods ... I neeedz anudda boat ;) !

Megabyte":72oytlt4 said:
Nice idea Dale. I wish I had room under my washboards, but on the stbd side I have my cockpit driving station, and on the port side I have fishing gear...

Still, you've given me an idea that I might be able to adapt inside my v-berth. Guess I'd better put it on my 'project list'.

I know what you mean about fender racks.
This is what we did at work...

Image-045887C1C73311DA.jpg
My fenders get pretty cruddy and I wouldn't want them in my v-berth. In my XL, while out, I often stick them in the transom fishbox, since I use my 126 gal. cooler as my usual fishbox.

stonebuster":3tqhwoz1 said:
...My fenders get pretty cruddy and I wouldn't want them in my v-berth. In my XL, while out, I often stick them in the transom fishbox, since I use my 126 gal. cooler as my usual fishbox.

126 gal. cooler. Holy ice cubes Batman...where do you put that big cooler so you still have room to fish?

Kev, didn't that boat used to have a Merc on it?

Anyway, that's a great idea Dale. Thanks for sharing!

gw204":ioa58db0 said:

That's the other 21SE (we have 2 of them).
The boat below has a 225 Merc EFI on it, the one above has a 150 SWS II.

marine12.JPG

FishFactory":3i1h9j8m said:
I stor 'em @ the dock. :wink:
... which does you no good when out on de water ... where youse needs 'em ... ;)

Megabyte":1q4du9ti said:
gw204":1q4du9ti said:

That's the other 21SE (we have 2 of them).
The boat below has a 225 Merc EFI on it, the one above has a 150 SWS II.

The 21' Parker with 225 HP Mercury might be something of an embarrasment to local FD as, it is only 2 kts faster than sistership w/150 Yamaha power. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any more ideas here?

Can't store under washboard - fishing rods here.

Don't want to store in fish box - plan to use for fish.

Was looking at the racks - what do you all think about these?

Great idea Dale, this would work out well with the shelf I installed on the port side. I have enough room above the shelf and they would be handy if I needed them. Thanks

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 973
Back