Finally, got to play.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of questions-
For the group: what distances make auto pilot a necessity?

I think that’s a question will have a different answer for everyone that answers it. The majority of my boat use involves running to or back from my fishing location, frequently 1.5 hours each way most of it in the ocean. I’m on autopilot typically the entire time aside from pulling in and out of the marina . Set the autopilot up to follow a route, sit back and monitor what’s going on. I find that much more enjoyable then holding the wheel in my hands for all that time.
I asked for a quote to install a Garmin pilot and was told 7 or $8000.00.

You can buy a Raymarine Evolution 150 for under $2K and install it in a day unless you’ve got a ridiculously complicated situation going on.....

Last edited:
I installed a Garmin AP with remote for about $3100. I opted out of the control head and control it from the MFD (or the remote whenever I get it). They are on backorder now. I bought it from Gil with Semper Fishing for $2600. He can be found on The Hull Truth. I then had to buy hoses and fittings which cost about $500. The install took about 4 hours.

The bang for the buck for me, this was the best upgrade I have made to my 2520 XLD. The 3 hour rides to the Gulf Stream and back are now enjoyable.

I installed a Garmin AP with remote for about $3100. I opted out of the control head and control it from the MFD (or the remote whenever I get it). They are on backorder now. I bought it from Gil with Semper Fishing for $2600. He can be found on The Hull Truth. I then had to buy hoses and fittings which cost about $500. The install took about 4 hours.

The bang for the buck for me, this was the best upgrade I have made to my 2520 XLD. The 3 hour rides to the Gulf Stream and back are now enjoyable.
If I do it myself I'll still be close to 5k with display and remote etc.
So, to add another 20-30% at that point (for a professional install) is how I think about it - to make it a bit easier to swallow. And I'll admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the hydraulics, and having any leaks down the road.
I had seen work the Octopus guys do, they are real pros.

If I do it myself I'll still be close to 5k with display and remote etc.
So, to add another 20-30% at that point (for a professional install) is how I think about it - to make it a bit easier to swallow. And I'll admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the hydraulics, and having any leaks down the road.
I had seen work the Octopus guys do, they are real pros.

You really don't need the control head. You can do everything the control head does, right on your MFD. If you get in touch with Gil you will be surprised how much less you will pay. If you can use a hole saw, tighten hose fittings, and crimp electrical connection, you can do the install. I was intimidated at first. I dove in and did the install. I mounted the pump in the rear seat base with the controller, and the heading controller under the helm deck on the starboard bulkhead. There is a wire chase that runs diagonally from the space under the helm deck to the rear starboard corner of the pilot house. The hardest part was all the planning I had to do. Now that I have done it, I can tell exactly what you need. If I can save myself $2000-$3000 on labor I am going to do my own work. I also know it was done right.

Just to add a thought on the Multi-Function-Displays (MFD's). We have the Garmin 1040 XS and yes we like it! But, it had 'issues' last year. When the MFD 'had issues' we also lost the use of the depth/sonar, the GPS/plotter, the RADAR, the MMSI on the VHF, and everything else that the MFD controls. It brought back fond memories of our last boat, (with 1990/early 2000's era electronics), where everything was separate pieces of equipment. If any one item/piece of the electronics failed, the others were not affected. I know modern electronics are very reliable, but....
In the words of one of our ClassicParker Guru's... "Everything on your boat is broken, you just don't know it yet!" (I've always liked that saying, because; all humor, is based in truth, or it wouldn't be funny).

Just to add a thought on the Multi-Function-Displays (MFD's). We have the Garmin 1040 XS and yes we like it! But, it had 'issues' last year. When the MFD 'had issues' we also lost the use of the depth/sonar, the GPS/plotter, the RADAR, the MMSI on the VHF, and everything else that the MFD controls. It brought back fond memories of our last boat, (with 1990/early 2000's era electronics), where everything was separate pieces of equipment. If any one item/piece of the electronics failed, the others were not affected. I know modern electronics are very reliable, but....
In the words of one of our ClassicParker Guru's... "Everything on your boat is broken, you just don't know it yet!" (I've always liked that saying, because; all humor, is based in truth, or it wouldn't be funny).

I don’t replace gear that functions well, some of this equipment is over a decade old and FAR from being the latest and greatest but it all works and with the exception of the RADAR and the Autopilot, I have 2 of everything else that can run independently.

The fully integrated, giant panel with everything overlaid and controlled off of one screen is very very nice and likely very reliable but it does have the disadvantage of all eggs being in one basket....

Attachments

• 022EB7FD-A645-4BE4-8E39-B9CC7A0E6178.jpeg
    022EB7FD-A645-4BE4-8E39-B9CC7A0E6178.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 0A707EC3-8283-4D1A-93D1-9A8198D4EFEC.jpeg
    0A707EC3-8283-4D1A-93D1-9A8198D4EFEC.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 21
I agree redundancy = reliability and safety. I have a 1042xsv for my primary and a 942xv for a secondary and a whiskey compass as a last resort. I have a hard mounted vhf and a handheld. Only one sonar, radar, auto pilot. All the navionics are connected; but, they aren't dependent on each other. I can still safely operate if one of the MFDs, the VHF, the AP or the sonar fail. It is also a cleaner more organized platform to operate. IMG_3295.JPG

Newark Bay, NJ, tonight.
I love that place, it's industrial grit.
IMG_5125.jpegIMG_5122.jpegIMG_5117.jpegIMG_5115.jpegIMG_5114.jpegIMG_5112.jpeg

My old stomping grounds. I've spent a lot of time in that harbor, albeit on larger (and slower!) watercraft.

Looks like you're having a great time out and about with the new ride. I'm jealous!
Honestly, I freaking love it. I have to pinch myself, I feel so lucky to be able to do this here.

The Newark bay is my favorite with everything you see there - insane; it amazes me they let rec-boaters in, at all; when I'm there I'm extremely careful as the traffic can be crazy heavy.

Always something. A few weeks ago I saw a large container ship being straightened out in the channel, I think it was being pushed by the confluence of current and wind; there were 4 or 5 tugs working it, it was intense and looked insane. I admire guys doing those jobs.

I also use my 24ft Yamaha to run around there as I can push further up on Passaic or Hackensack. There is so much history there, too, come to think of it. I slip the Parker in Arthur Kill, the Yammie is slipped at Lake Hopatcong, but easy to trailer - I usually launch at Liberty Park or GWB/Hazzard.

Honestly, I freaking love it. I have to pinch myself, I feel so lucky to be able to do this here.

The Newark bay is my favorite with everything you see there - insane; it amazes me they let rec-boaters in, at all; when I'm there I'm extremely careful as the traffic can be crazy heavy.

Always something. A few weeks ago I saw a large container ship being straightened out in the channel, I think it was being pushed by the confluence of current and wind; there were 4 or 5 tugs working it, it was intense and looked insane. I admire guys doing those jobs.

I also use my 24ft Yamaha to run around there as I can push further up on Passaic or Hackensack. There is so much history there, too, come to think of it. I slip the Parker in Arthur Kill, the Yammie is slipped at Lake Hopatcong, but easy to trailer - I usually launch at Liberty Park or GWB/Hazzard.
We'd usually shoot down the East River and out through New York Harbor, down to Staten Island or up the Hudson. Great navigation training with all the commercial traffic, and cool history to discuss with the new guys. Really helps when someone else is footing the diesel bill too.

Now, as part of that large commercial traffic (not often in NY/NJ anymore, but elsewhere), we do appreciate boaters with your level of concern and awareness; they're few and far between.

Looks like a larger version of my haunt on the west coast

Attachments

• 4074F64C-1DDF-4DEF-8F55-C650EA84A18A.jpeg
    4074F64C-1DDF-4DEF-8F55-C650EA84A18A.jpeg
    622.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 31957BD5-AB55-48E0-96FA-A8060322F56D.jpeg
    31957BD5-AB55-48E0-96FA-A8060322F56D.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 14
Finished my little trailer improvement project.
The guideposts w/lights are on, tail lights partially rewired with waterproof connectors, conspicuity tape is on.
I swapped the tires, too, with Endurance radials at 65psi.
Ready to roll on NJ Turnpike, lol.
IMG_5149.jpegIMG_5145.jpegIMG_5159.jpegIMG_5166.jpegIMG_5163.jpeg

--

How did you know where to position those guideposts without the boat on the trailer?
I took pretty extensive measurements with the boat on; but, just in case, I left the bracket/guidepost bolts easily accessible w/enough slack on wiring conduits - if need adjusted at the ramp.

We'd usually shoot down the East River and out through New York Harbor, down to Staten Island or up the Hudson. Great navigation training with all the commercial traffic, and cool history to discuss with the new guys.
I'll be honest, I find some of those places, especially around the Newark Bay, almost... surreal. Sometimes we like to cruise around in our 24' open bow and just absorb the views, it is so interesting to me.
There are just miles of shore covered with ship cemeteries, defunct marine terminals, factories.

Passed by one that I thought looked strangely familiar... lol - I'm showing my age, lol:
1620786842905.png

1620786873060.png

1620786932168.png

1620786954250.png

:cool:

--

Back