Fire Extinguisher Mounting in a 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimC2520

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to drill holes, so give me ideas...I was using heavy duty velcro and placing it against the inside of the hull by my right foot if standing at the helm. I rest it on the floor to counter act the weight of the extinguisher. It works well but I do have to replace the velcro every year. How do you guys mount yours? I just noticed on the extinguisher it says "only valid with bracket" so I am wondering would the USCG fine me if it's not mounted onto a bracket?

Tim

I have a 2510, so things are a bit different. I too hated the thought of drilling holes in the glass, so I mounted them on the back of the two captain's chairs. I have an ABC 5lb extinguisher on the back of each chair. Will go through my pics and see if one of them shows the mounting.

Here is how I did mine...

Image-0EC4BE43F14A11D8.jpg

Image-0EC498D6F14A11D8.jpg

I removed the lower bolt for the outside grab-rail and replaced it with one about 1/4" to 1/2" longer (can't remember for certain).
Opened up the hole in the mounting bracket, and bolted her up. :wink:

2 extinguishers, within easy reach.

Tim - On my 2520 DV i used bungee cords to attach the braket /extinguisher to the pedestal of the helm chair. Keeps it out of the way and at the same time out in the open.

As promised, here are two pics of how it is attached to the back of the chair. I removed one screw from the back of the seat and used it on the hole at the top end of the black plastic bracket. I then used plastic wire ties to hold the lower end of the bracket against the seat (I didn't want to drill holes in the aluminum bar supporting the back of the chair.

The red gizmo to the left of the fire extinguisher is a man overboard strobe. When I was anchored at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at the mouth of the Bay one night, the current was ripping through the bridge pilings. I thought to myself, if someone fell overboard, and was swept out into the darkness they would never be located until the CG found the body floating the next day. So I added the strobe. If someone goes overboard at night, the strobe follows them overboard. The strobe will float near the man overboard until the anchor rode can be cut, the motors started, and the person (strobe) chased down. Yes, I said "CUT" the anchor rode. In December, with water temps in the 40's and air temps in the 30s or 40s, getting someone back into the boat quickly is more important than an anchor. BTW, I also carry towels and a sleeping bag, so that the person who fell overboard could strip, dry, and get warmed up while we traveled the 12-16 miles back to Little Creek Naval Base.

Attachments

• Picture 177m.jpg
    Picture 177m.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Picture 178m.jpg
    Picture 178m.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,737
I carry two extinguishers, one for the cockpit, one for the cabin. I haven't found a good place to mount the cabin one yet, so I'll be interested in seeing what fellow CP-ers are up to. For now it sits in a five gallon bucket down in between the V-berths.

I mounted my cockpit one here:

extinquisher.jpg

Under the stbd gunnel right below the cockpit light. Attached the bracket with two tiny stainless bolts through the cabin wall. It's mounted out of the way, out of the sun and elements, easily accessible, but not getting bumped-into during normal activities. On the stbd side it is furthest away from fuel tank vents and lines, engine, etc.

I guess this would only work for "older" 2520 models that don't have that molded fiberglas step in the corner there.

cbigma":cxt6w737 said:
I carry two extinguishers, one for the cockpit, one for the cabin. I haven't found a good place to mount the cabin one yet, so I'll be interested in seeing what fellow CP-ers are up to. For now it sits in a five gallon bucket down in between the V-berths.

I mounted my cockpit one here...I guess this would only work for "older" 2520 models that don't have that molded fiberglas step in the corner there.

That would block the OEM rod holders in the newer 2520s and 2510s.

When I got the new SMS post, I decided to change the location of my extinguishers. I liked the idea of having one on the inside and one on the outside like cbigma did.

So I mounted one just like he did and one on the plastic wire channel cover that covers the wires in both the port and starboard corners of the cabin on my 2520. Not sure what year they added the channel covers.

While I was at it, I replaced all the #8, 3/4" screws that secure the channel to the walls. The original ones started rusting.

Just another Saturday...tinkering....

Attachments

• 12192008 053 (Small).jpg
    12192008 053 (Small).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 650
  • 12192008 054 (Small).jpg
    12192008 054 (Small).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 650
FWIW a few years ago when I took my boating safety course, the CG instructor made a very good point about mounting fire extinguishers. He said mount your extinguishers in a horizontal position. The constant pounding nature, over time will cause the dry chemical to compact into a solid and when you go to use the fire extinguisher, all that comes out is the charge gas. I have never seen a fire extinguisher mounted on its side, however, if you think about it, it kinda make sense that it possibly could happen. I have since mounted my extinguishers horizontally since my last re-charge.

LOL, seems like it takes a Parker owner one full week of deliberation before he drills a hole in the boat. Here's mine. Used one of the holes already drilled for the teak moulding.

Attachments

• firext.jpg
    firext.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 586
guess im the only guy who doesnt mind drilling holes. mine are mounted at the foot of the copilots seat, and on the inside of the cabin bulkhead just to the left of the door. finishing washers on the outside make it look just fine, IMHO

I've got 2 extinguishers. One is in the helm area, the other is in the cabin. I'm not near the boat, so I can't post photos. But, they are mounted back to back, so the brackets actually bolt together, and they sandwich the bulkhead. They are out of the way in front of the passenger helm seat (and up high within reach inside the cabin) but easily accessible.

Back