First time winterizing questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i will do is put antifreeze in the bilge area with the plug in and tilt the nose down on the trailer to circulate the antifreeze throughout the boat for any remnant water

But for the console and motor I haven’t found a need to cover my 1800 in several years now. I keep the bow cranked up high (time to lube the Jack too) and the deck will generally clear itself. If we get walloped with snow a quick sweep with a leaf blower will clear the deck.

Along with pulling cushions and batteries, I pull my anchor, dock and drift lines to clear the holds, inspect the lines and coil properly.

This is another trick I learned from my neighbor who is approaching 95... Years ago I noticed my neighbor had his boat shrink wrapped and thought it would be wasting money throwing it away once the season started again. (I was taught never to waste $$$ by my dad :) ) Well, the following winter I noticed him reapplying the same shrink wrap so I went over and asked him how he did that and he explained to me the following...

He went to the dollar store and purchased noodles (used in swimming pools to float on). And he would cover anything that was sharp so it didn't cut the shrinkwrap when it's originally installed .

Next, he took pictures where the company placed all the cords to support the shrinkwrap.

Then he would use the same cords (or get some laundry rope) and put them where they were originally placed using the pictures he took.

After placing the cords, he extended the battery cables to the outside of the boat so the engine(s) could be dropped and lifted and that would tighten and loosen up the shrinkwrap when needed by hooking a battery up to it. (VERY IMPORTANT)

After all that being done, he just placed the shrink wrap back on the boat and tied it back down where it was originally secured. (Pending on the size of the boat, it would help to have a second hand to help) and then he lower the engines. Everything for me worked out great every year!

With that all said, I followed my neighbor's advice and wound up using my shrinkwrap 6 years before selling the boat. And I actually explained it to the person who purchased it too. So, I would do it again if I needed too. But now, I don't have to because the personI I purchased my Parker from gave me a winter cover!

Hope that helps people. Plus, I look at it as saving the planet!

Back