First time winterizing questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davec004

Reaction score
Just finished up my first season owning a boat (2001 Parker 1801). I’ve had the engine (Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke) winterized and the fuel stabilized by my marina. I drained my live well, left its seacock open, disconnected its hose, and tried to run a little RV/marine antifreeze through the bilge pump. Anything else I should be thinking about with the bilge pump and live well pump? I’m up in New England and will be storing the boat outside so concerned with freezing. Also, my marina said they change the fuel filter and fuel/water separator as part of the spring commissioning so I’m assuming those are all set. Thanks in advance for any advice for a newbie. Already looking forward to next spring.

Attachments

• FCA30E5D-0E20-4F47-AA42-11DA802B4978.jpeg
    FCA30E5D-0E20-4F47-AA42-11DA802B4978.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
I'm in New England as well...I change everything in the fall...oil/gasoline filters...grease everything as well..I've never messed with the bilge pumps..as any water in the pump will drain to the bilge.and the bilge plug has been removed......Yamaha 150 4 stroke

FWIW The motor needs to straight down on rams and ram tips lubed for drainage and rust protection, remove removable items - cushions - clean and store inside , open any hatches and keep open, use a fan for air circulation to dry out boat to reduce mold and cover the boat then check on it after rain and snow . Remove batteries and tires and store inside. Use fan under cover as often possible.

Great, thanks all. I was aware of most of what you suggested, but a couple items were new to me. Appreciate the advice. Time to get started on putting her to bed for the winter.

It's Rockfish (striper) season on the Chesapeake until Late December, then I need to winterize my 2320 Sport Cabin (new to me). I know what to do with the Yamaha, and I read what is written above, but what about the live well? The sea water washdown? Any other advice is truly appreciated!

As far as the live well/raw water wash down goes, in my prior boat I added a Tee fitting right after the ball valve where the water came in from the sea. I then added a ball valve off the Tee. Then I attached a 3 ft. hose off the ball valve so I could place it in a gallon of antifreeze. It worked great! So now I'm going to do it on my Parker.

As far as the live well/raw water wash down goes, in my prior boat I added a Tee fitting right after the ball valve where the water came in from the sea. I then added a ball valve off the Tee. Then I attached a 3 ft. hose off the ball valve so I could place it in a gallon of antifreeze. It worked great! So now I'm going to do it on my Parker.
Good info. Thanks, Mark!

You should run a tank of fogging mixture through the engine and spray the engine down with cover off with some yami shield corrosion spray.

Just an observation - those bilge wires and especially the butt connections - they all should be zip tied as high and dry above the bilge area as possible. Looks like plenty of slack once you cut those zip ties off. 👍🏻

I forgot an important part... when I'm finished running the antifreeze through everything I keep all the ball valves open so they don't trap any liquid inside the ball valve themselves.

I used to use a homemade fake a lake to suck up anti-freeze into the livewell and washdown hose tubing, but this year, noticed that I could unscrew the livewell aerator spray head and stick a small silicone tube into the fitting. I then let gravity do the work and poured anti-freeze into it. Same with washdown hose and when you see the pink stuff flow out past your pump inlet, you know you are good to go. Saves a lot of time.

I used to use a homemade fake a lake to suck up anti-freeze into the livewell and washdown hose tubing, but this year, noticed that I could unscrew the livewell aerator spray head and stick a small silicone tube into the fitting. I then let gravity do the work and poured anti-freeze into it. Same with washdown hose and when you see the pink stuff flow out past your pump inlet, you know you are good to go. Saves a lot of time.
Does that way of winterizing let the antifreeze flow through all the pumps for raw water/live well and also in your fresh water pump? If so that's a good idea too. TY

Does that way of winterizing let the antifreeze flow through all the pumps for raw water/live well and also in your fresh water pump? If so that's a good idea too. TY
I have a 21 SE so no freshwater system onboard but yes. Besides the two I mentioned, I also insert a tube into the bilge pump exit hole and allow antifreeze to flow into that system as well. You can see the pink fluid build up in the tubing and also any excess will flow through the pump.

Back