Fishing Rod Transporter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Now that we are back into trolling season again, I was once again frustrated with trying to load seven trolling rigs inside of my Jeep Cherokee Classic.
I don't like beating up the rods and reels, and it always seems like the braid ends up getting tangled, making for a frustrating start to the day.

Many years ago (before I had a boat), I used a rig like this one on the front of my IH Scout for surf fishing.
This project has been on my mind for awhile, so it was time to go ahead with it.

The basis for the transporter is this Wel-Bilt Cargo Carrier that I sourced from Northern Tool.
The rig just slips into the 2" receiver hitch of the Jeep. Pretty simple.

web.jpg

A piece of plywood from my scrap bin was cut to 10"x48", clamped into place, then secured with four 1/4" u-bolts.

web.jpg

web.jpg

The rods were laid out to give me an idea of the spacing needed and to determine the size of the pipe I would need for the job.
After a bunch of layout and figuring the spacing of the tubes, I determined I could get 10 rod mount tubes on my transporter, and still clear all the bracing on the cargo carrier.
Blue painters tape made the chore of getting the spacing just right with a pencil and eraser correcting everything until I got it right.

web.jpg

web.jpg

I decided that 1.5" schedule 40 PVC would work, so I bought a 10' length and cut it into 12" sections using a mitre to keep everything as straight as possible.

web.jpg

A little acetone on a rag cleaned off all the ink on the PVC, and some 80 grit sandpaper made all of the cut ends nice and smooth.

web.jpg

When doing the layout on the backing board, I determined the lower mounting bolt would be 1" from the end of the tube.
Using a square and a straight edge, I laid out the points at the bottom where the tubes would attach, and drilled that hole first.
The hardware to be used was 1/4"x1" carriage bolts, with a drill selected one size larger so the square shank of the carriage bolt would sink easily into the PVC.
Drilling the hole just a wee bit larger also gave me a little wiggle room to square everything up.

Once the first mounting bolt was snugged, I squared up the tube, and using my layout line on the back of the board (set 1" below the top edge), I drilled the top mounting hole.
This is what the inside of the tube looks like.

web.jpg

This is what the tube looks like from the front face. No mounting holes showing.

web.jpg

After the first tube was mounted, the routine for the remaining tubes was the same.

Drill the bottom mounting hole in the tube.
Drill the lower hole in the backer board,
Bolt on the tube snugging the lower bolt.
With level, ruler, and eyeball, get the tube parallel with the others.
Clamp the top tube.
Verify it is still straight...
The drill the top mounting hole using the guide line on the rear of the backing board, insert the bolt, and snug her down.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Now... If you are anything like my next-door neighbor, you are probably wondering why the tubes are numbered sequentially. :D

Well, although the fabrication is complete, the job is not done.
The next step is to blow this thing apart and paint the backing board.
The tubes are numbered so everything goes back together in the same place.

Because every tube was fabricated with hand tools, rulers, squares, levels, and what-not, the chances of each tube being exactly alike is probably not going to happen, so labeling everything so it goes back together the way it was built is my plan.

Next to decide how to paint the board.
What do you think about something like this, only in red and white? :D

Attachments

• 315-001.jpg
    315-001.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 873
Looks good Kev. Nice job!

On suggestion though. Run a bolt or machine screw through the bottom of those tubes so the rod gimbals have something to lock in to. If not, your rods will rotating when go around curves.

Looks good but I would worry about stopping at a traffic light and some kid runs up from behind and snatches a few. I guess those rods are around $200 a piece, two juveniles could wipe you out.

This transporter is just for traveling between my garage and the boat.
Only about a mile distance with no traffic lights... but I see your point.

Never even considered that possibility when I used to travel all the way to Assateague with my surf rods in the transporter.

gw204":3tf3srv7 said:
Looks good Kev. Nice job!

On suggestion though. Run a bolt or machine screw through the bottom of those tubes so the rod gimbals have something to lock in to. If not, your rods will rotating when go around curves.

I had the same suggestion. Maybe run a round file down the end of a tube to make a 1/2 inch cut or so. This will help lock the reel in the tube.

Once I get the backer board sanded, painted, and finished with the reflective chevron material (I hope), I'll be tweaking the tubes to hold both my trolling and spinning gear.
Some alterations might be needed once the finish has been completed.

Stand by...
Photos will be forthcoming (but it might take awhile to handle the details). 8)

I have basically the same thing on the side of my dock, SS deck screw through the bottom of the tube serves as a pin for the bottom of the rods to lock into, my .02.

Looks great regardless!!

Backer is done.

Prime, sand with 150, prime, sand with 150, paint, sand with 150, paint, sand with 150, paint, sand with 150, paint, sand with 220, paint, sand with 220, paint, sand with 220, paint, sand with 320, paint, sand with 320, paint...
I think she is as smooth as she is gonna get without spraying.

Working with a fire apparatus manufacturer for the chevron appliqué.
Delivery expected in about 2 weeks.

Care to see the photoshop concept image?

Bryan 2530":1nojynmt said:
Megabyte":1nojynmt said:
Care to see the photoshop concept image?

Of course. 8)

Not to exact scale or color, but close.

web.jpg

When everything is completed, I'm going to try and get a shot of this thing next to one of our local Engines as a comparison.

file.php

Megabyte":1natrioc said:
Just in case anyone wanted to know why these chevrons are showing up on fire apparatus today ...
Thanks ... I lay awake at night wondering :lol: ...

Update: My reflective chevron panel shipped.
I hope to be re-assembling and tested sometime next week. :)

The panel arrived today.

Attachments

• Chevrons.jpg
    Chevrons.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 443
Finished the transporter today!

Turned the chevron panel over and lightly scored a line down the middle of the backing so I could remove it in two parts.
Next, I affixed the panel on the backer and held the position with blue painters tape on one end.
Then I eased the mylar backer off while gently pressing the chevron panel down.

web.jpg

After one side was done, I rubbed it down with a towel and it was secure.
Pulled off the tape and did the same process on the other side.

web.jpg

Time to put it all back together!

web.jpg

Back