Flooding in the Chesapeake

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Tim

Reaction score
There is high water all over the lower bay today (Wed.). In some areas it is second only to Isabel. Observations are generally three to four feet above normal high tide. the wind can make this worse in some locales. It is preventing me from getting to my Mom's place to pick her up for the holidays. She doesn't feel good leaving the house empty when there is high water.

You all make sure to check the dock lines and snug 'em up good. Allow for the high tides, surges, and all that other stuff. This darn storm is going to make the bay an obstacle course for the next week or so. Don't run too fast at night and keep a sharp lookout for flotsam. I've seen entire piers float by after these storms.

Parker hulls are stronger than average but there is a limit to what they can withstand. :?

Thanks RangerTim. with the north winds, I would have thought blowout tides. I am glad you said something.

I will go check my lines now.

I had to snug up my spring line earlier this afternoon. Right now, I'm getting ready to make another run down to the marina just to check things out before I lay in bed awake all night wondering if she's OK...

I checked my lines after work and double locked them all as the wind was really bouncing her on her lines.

Winds all evening at TPL have been 10 kts above forecast and it's been raining buckets too. Not a good night to be out, that's for sure.

I have a feeling this storm blew up a bit more than what was forcasted.

----------------

ANZ531-532-230830-
/O.CON.KLWX.GL.W.0022.000000T0000Z-061123T0300Z/
/O.EXT.KLWX.SC.Y.0134.061123T0300Z-061124T0200Z/
CHESAPEAKE BAY FROM POOLES ISLAND TO SANDY POINT-
CHESAPEAKE BAY FROM SANDY POINT TO NORTH BEACH-
350 PM EST WED NOV 22 2006

GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM EST THIS EVENING
THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING...

TONIGHT
N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. GUSTS UP TO 35 KT THIS EVENING.
WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. RAIN THIS EVENING...THEN RAIN LIKELY AFTER
MIDNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM THIS EVENING.

THU
N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. WAVES 3 TO 4 FT. RAIN LIKELY IN THE
MORNING.

THU NIGHT
NW WINDS 15 KT. EVENING GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.

Things weren't too bad down in Solomons...cross my fingers...knock on wood. :D The tide has gone down about a foot since this afternoon. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

Yeah gang - this high water phemonimum is getting a bit old......As I understand it, my dock, lift plugs and breaker box were under water AGAIN last night :evil: This will be the third time in under 18 months.....That'll mean replacing one ground fault plug and two 30 amp breakers in order to get my boat off the lift......Lately it's been a crapshoot every time I try to launch - think I'll need to rewire the entire dock and put everything 8 foot above normal high tide rather than "just" 4 feet :(

Stay safe and have a great Thanksgiving - stripers this Saturday if I can get off the lift!

Certainly global warming has nothing to do with it! :shock:

Hey, the water on the lower James has cause some flooding and closed the ramp at Denbigh where I normally launch. I figure it will be Sunday or as late as tuesday before the water clears and the ramp is opened back up for use. I hope to get out for a few stripers.

We are wondering about this high water mystery ourselves up here on the Delaware River. I spoke to NOAA people out of Maryland and they didn't feel that there was anything unusual. Since Huricane Floyd and especially after Emily we have been seeing alot of higher than normal tides. The people living along our back meadows are really seeing the change.

If anyone has any statistical info, please send it my way. I have the tidal logs from NOAA and they are normally above the predicted tide stages. It's been like that for nearly a year.

Doesn't seem like many people are getting too excited about it with NOAA.

Just got back from the CBBT. Towed down on Wed in high winds. Had trouble keeping the Diamond in her own lane on I-64 headed past Williamsburg. Arrived at Little Creek NAB to find the marina building with about 2' of water in it, the big ice storage box bouncing up and down in the waves against the front door, and water 3/4 of the way up into the parking lot. Dropped the boat at the top of the lot and then did the T-day thing. Came back Friday early to launch (still high water). I took pics of the mess, and will try to get them loaded up here later.

BTW, fishing was difficult...took a long time to fill the box with barely legal keepers. Normally my CBBT trips yeild dozens or even over a hundred nice 24"+ fish. Not this time.

Here are the pics of the LCNAB marina. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Attachments

• NewFolder 041 (Small).jpg
    NewFolder 041 (Small).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,941
  • NewFolder 042 (Small).jpg
    NewFolder 042 (Small).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,941
  • NewFolder 043 (Small).jpg
    NewFolder 043 (Small).jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,941
  • NewFolder 044 (Small).jpg