Fly fishing so California from their parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djam

Reaction score
Hey,

I fly fish in fresh water and I've seen people fish salt water, the question I have is what weight do you use? My concern is I'm fly fishing for calicos and a yellow picks me up, I'd hate to get spooled as the line is much more expensive. My boat is in Dana Point, so I'll be fishing coastal that area and maybe Cat or SCI.

Thoughts? Suggestions? People want to fish

9bd677e5dcdf6d94998cda3890250018.jpg
Do you actually use fly reel and rod and cast flies or do you troll? I use this setup for salmon but I troll with downriggers. Couldn’t Imagine trying to reel in a tuna or anything that swims really fast in different directions as you get your knuckles bloody if you’re feeling and they decide to turn and run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishWhisperer":6ifokutl said:
9bd677e5dcdf6d94998cda3890250018.jpg
Do you actually use fly reel and rod and cast flies or do you troll? I use this setup for salmon but I troll with downriggers. Couldn’t Imagine trying to reel in a tuna or anything that swims really fast in different directions as you get your knuckles bloody if you’re feeling and they decide to turn and run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• tarpon.jpg
    tarpon.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 284
my friends cast into the kelp line and a friend cast at a paddy and got a dorado from a center console we had before the parker.

I might do it this coming spring.

djam":138clnwy said:
Hey,

I fly fish in fresh water and I've seen people fish salt water, the question I have is what weight do you use? My concern is I'm fly fishing for calicos and a yellow picks me up, I'd hate to get spooled as the line is much more expensive. My boat is in Dana Point, so I'll be fishing coastal that area and maybe Cat or SCI.

Thoughts? Suggestions? People want to fish
I primarily fly fish when solo or with 1 person. I like the challenge and that all fish are fun. I just bought a 21SE because it will be a great platform.

I use 9wt rods in MA for Bass and Blues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I purchased a 9wt outfit this last weekend, hoping it ships soon. I'm excited to try it on the local keeps and maybe offshore on a paddy or two for yellows.

Dave

Back