For those that pull planer boards

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadGar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern Maryland, Chesapeake/Potomac River
i know there are several types of planer boards but I'm specifically talking about the 2 or 3 board type that you see often in the Chesapeake or surrounding area. My question is, where and how do you connect the boards to your pilot house. On my CC I installed a small 6' pole to the front of bow rail, which wouldn't be convenient in pilot house. I'm nervous about just strapping to the stainless rail on top. know I'm over thinking but want someone that is doing it and no problems to maybe show a pic or just tell be what they do. Thanks,
Kevin

Can you fab a rod holder mount for it? I have a SS rod holder mount that I used under a wooded cutting board with articulating joints to change angles which all locked down tight via a lever. Good luck...

I connect it just in front of the center support, it puts the line in a good spot to reach. I've been running it like this for 5 years, I first thought about putting an eye bolt thru the top but I again thought whats the difference. Once when I had the wife driving so I could set the lines she wrapped one of the planner board around a buoy. If that didn't do it I don't know what would. I took this pic last Saturday, the lines look a little wavy because I had the camera on panoramic

Attachments

• 5-14-16.JPG
    5-14-16.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 331
I have mine mounted on my bow pulpit I had a mount 12"h 12"w with a 11/2" angle on each bottom side. I have Big Jon electric planer board reels on a 6' mast I use a tag line to pull board lines in to attach line from rods. I had the bracket fabed and powder coated for $100 the anchor and rode can be launched and retrieved with no hassle (Lewmar windlass). :D The boat is for sale I don't have a picture or I would post it

Wow, you've got it laid out professional :D . That's similar to how I had it on my CC (without all the expensive/electric parts :| ). I'm sure that works great however, with my boating budget (or lack thereof), I think HOTPURSUIT fixed me up. I really just wanted to figure the safest/easiest way to mount to top of Pilothouse but was just nervous using the rails (thought they would pull out or damage top) but obviously it shouldn't be a problem. I would like to see your layout though, especially how you connected/got power to the Big Jon electric planer board reels . By the way, I remember you were considering selling earlier and listed your options. That boat is surely loaded but honestly, I already have a 2320 which I love but when/if I upgrade (years away) I think I want the 2530 for a little more cabin room.

Thanks again for your post

Guys,

I know this is an older page but just bought a 2320 parker and going to use planer boards on it. I have used planer boards for over 30 years and curious if you have pics of how you have it set up? I have always used a 6' mast on many boats over the years with big johns. I was look at mounting just a reel on the rails on top of the hard top? Thoughts? Enough angle to get the lines out? Etc?

This is my 50th b day present. Wanna do it right but would like to use the rails this time instead of a big mast on front.
THank you!

Kris

I have them on my 2320 all though I hardly ever troll anymore. If it stops ever snowing I will get a picture of my set up. But they are just reels mounted to the rod rack on top.

Guys,

I know this is an older page but just bought a 2320 parker and going to use planer boards on it. I have used planer boards for over 30 years and curious if you have pics of how you have it set up? I have always used a 6' mast on many boats over the years with big johns. I was look at mounting just a reel on the rails on top of the hard top? Thoughts? Enough angle to get the lines out? Etc?

This is my 50th b day present. Wanna do it right but would like to use the rails this time instead of a big mast on front.
THank you!

Kris
Hi Kris, here is what the previous owner of our boat installed for Planer Boards. He was very successful fisherman who fished the Chesapeake out of Northern Neck Va..... He attached the gear to the posts that are bolted to both sides of the forward 'eye-brow' of the pilothouse roof. I have not yet used them, as I've been told the waters are too shallow for use, in the eastern North Carolina sounds and rivers. And since I have no idea how to use them, they might be correct!
Here's some photos; and a video;

1612709794254.png
1612710309635.png

Last edited:
thank you for sharing! I look forward to others also SO i can make it work the best for Lake Erie Walleye fishing.

Back