Four Strokes?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
My 2004 F225 has 600 hours on it now and just purrs. I wonder how many hours we can expect before a major overhaul is needed. I have heard stories about the CG running Hondas for 5000 or 6000 hours but do not have any first hand information. I am not going to mess around with mine. When it starts to show its age, either the motor or entire rig will be replaced. Just curious what to expect.

Separate but somewhat related question. Does the capacity plate on a 23' boat have any legal bearing? The 23 SE is rated for 225 HP. Would there be any reason not to put an F 250 on it? I cannot imagine that 25 HP is going to stress that hull. I have toured the plant and seen the stringer system.

Hard to predict the longevity of the present crop of 4-stroke outboards, but if the hours I've seen on some of the old 2-strokes are any indication, you shouldn't have too many worries so long as you have her serviced regularly and don't run the snot out of her. :)

As for the capacity plates... There has been a lot of debate on that one.
Some people will tell you that your insurance company might have an issue if you exceed the rating on that plate.

But... I know for a fact that a buddy of mine has motors on his Grady Sailfish that exceed the recommended HP on 'the plate' by 50hp, and his insurance company wasn't concerned (he asked them before he bought it).

I wouldn't be too concerned with 25 hp. Now... if you were to hang a pair of 250's on her... you might have an issue.

As always... YMMV.

Have 425 hours on each F115, without a hitch. At 100 hours a season (about what I'm averaging now), it will take me another 36 years to get to 4,000 hours on each motor. I'll be flyfishing from a Parker 23 DV CC long before then.

Just took my first class for my boating safety cert....this issue came up and the class was taught my the USCG Aux. He told a true story, this guy buys a boat that was 3 years old and was recently repowered to 5hp OVER the capacity plate prior to him buying it...got into an accident and the insurance company denied the claim because the HP was over capacity...even by 5 hp. The dealer wont take the boat back either so now he is tangled up in a legal mess.

Tim-

We all hear a lot of stuff about boats. I remember reading on THT that those plates were enforced up to 20 foot boats but not above. Do not know if that is true or not.

Since the 23 SE is a big heavy boat, Parker may change the rating now that the F 250's are out. I have heard that when manufacturers change the rating, they will often send you an updated sticker if you asked.

I have seen 250's on much smaller boats.

It is not important to me yet because I think (hope) the F225 will last for many more hours. Just thinking ahead on this one.

Agreed......We could probably ask 10 different manufacturers and USCG personnel and get 10 different answers. I noticed in the safe boating study guide, it states that those plates aren't legally required if the boat is under 20 feet.
Tim

Tim-

..."it states that those plates aren't legally required if the boat is under 20 feet."

I think I read just the opposite. I think they are not required over 20 feet. It would be logical that a small boat could be overloaded and overpowered easier than a larger boat. I am not sure though and that is why I asked.

Hi Wild Bill,

I used to sell Parkers in Florida and at the Parker dealer meeting last year Tim Fernandez from yamaha told us a story about a patrol boat that ran 24/7 and had a pair of F225's with 8500hrs each. He said that the factory found out about those engines and wanted them back to look at the level of wear and tear and he said the internal parts weren't as worn as they thought they would be. I have several Parkers out there as charter boats running everyday with over a 1000 hrs. Just be sure to do your 100hrs services and use Yamaha Ring Free it keeps the carbon off the internal moving parts. Also ask your local dealer about the new 10 micron fuel filter it helps to keep the injectors cleaner. No need to repower for along time with a Parker and a Yamaha 4-stroke not much to do but fish. Have fun Capt Brad

Thanks Capt Brad-

My engine gets meticulous maintenance and I rarely let it go to 100 hours before oil and filter changes. 8500 hours is incredible. At that rate and at 300 hours per year, the F225 will out live me. I have been really impressed with the engine thus far.

Two weeks ago I ran down the VA/NC coast to find ocean stripers and put 127 miles on it that day. It is so smooth and quiet. If you have good water, it is like driving your car.

I am not knocking any other engines, but am just delighted with this one.

Back