Fresh water supply for head?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a definite advantage with using fresh water. The marine micro-organisms are what cause heads to smell. The poop isn't the problem, it's the salt water. I've been on several boats that use fresh water for flushing and the difference is obvious and welcome!

I haven't done this, but I am considering tee'ing off the fresh water hose, then making a selector by the head to choose fresh or salt water flush.

Can’t even imagine having someone drop a deuce in the cabin of my 2520.......

Our last boat had two heads, an 80 gallon S/S holding tank, and all of the best quality hoses; vapor non-permeable, and foil wrapped. It was flushed with seawater for the 28 years I owned it. Not once was there a 'head' odor due to the system itself. (One time, eels got sucked up the intake and rotted in the head for a week; now THAT was world-class stink!)... Our Parker 2520 has the electric head; 'poly' holding tank and the standard hoses. It was used ONCE, three years ago. After many fresh-water flushings, head chemicals, cleaners etc, occasionally there is still a 'hint' of head-odor. The head has not been used since that one time... I might try hooking it to the fresh water tank as suggested above, but I'd be surprised if that solves the odor issue. (I'm on a 'mostly fish' diet ☺)

Last edited:
This is an older thread but whether in fresh or salt water use head treatment periodically, flushed through the head to the holding tank.

I may be reading too much into this but if you want fresh water flushing it is not fully easy. Ideally it's own tank source. If you have a galley tank and you somehow tap into it as a minimum have a check valve.

Keeping the plumbing as is can work whether in fresh or salt water. My head gets used every year. Avoid enzyme holding tank treatments, they are exaggerated in effectiveness when it is hot. Use the chemical head treatments. If in salt water a couple times a year flush vinegar through the head or buy some liquid head lubricant, will help the system.

Dana

OR just have your buddies, your wife, your children poop in a 5 gallon bucket, then dump overboard. One of the 1st thing I did on my new 2320 was remove the head: Aint nobody storing turds on my boat!

I removed the non plumbed head that came with my 2011, 2120. I use a cheap potty from Walmart. We use kitty litter, if it gets used the garbage bag gets dumped and life is simple.
If you treat it, keep it treated. I use a formaldehyde free treatment in my camper and it does not take on that portapotty smell.
Best of luck with your pilot house

I removed the non plumbed head that came with my 2011, 2120. I use a cheap potty from Walmart. We use kitty litter, if it gets used the garbage bag gets dumped and life is simple.
If you treat it, keep it treated. I use a formaldehyde free treatment in my camper and it does not take on that portapotty smell.
Best of luck with your pilot house
What brand/product of formaldehyde-free treatment do you recommend?

Andy, get standard head and holding tank treatment, with formaldehyde if you will be away from the boat for days. Works the best. There are some without it but you have to see how good it works long term. Years ago I knew a guy that worked on a commuter train and brought back their concentrated toilet treatments.

The ones for campers and boats are similar.

Andy, unsure of the brand. Sorry it’s in the camper. They sell it at Walmart, I use the packets rather than the liquid.
Sorry for the delay, I thought the reply posted.
I can’t comment on long term but I like the non porta potty smell

Andy, unsure of the brand. Sorry it’s in the camper. They sell it at Walmart, I use the packets rather than the liquid.
Sorry for the delay, I thought the reply posted.
I can’t comment on long term but I like the non porta potty smell
Thank you!... I've tried a couple of the 'treatment-chemicals' when I first bought the Parker; not much luck with those. As I mentioned, we never needed chemicals on our previous boat, and the heads were used every week. With just one usage on the Parker, it took a lot of time, flushing and work to make the odor go away. I'll take your advice and try the packets from Walmart.

Last edited:
My 2820 started to have head odor smell that after flushing with multiple cleaners would not go away. Turned out to be leaky tank. The tank sitting in foam is poor set up because tank water can soak into the foam and smell will never go away. Ended up removing the tank along with two stringers that got soaked because the fasteners that hold the tank were not sealed. Not saying this is your case but something to check. Never had tank odor before the leak. Replacing the tank is no fun.

Attachments

• 5E7BE3E3-81DB-4BE7-AE33-EA26674102AB.jpeg
    5E7BE3E3-81DB-4BE7-AE33-EA26674102AB.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 18
Andy, if there is some lingering odor from intermittent or past use, run a bunch of vinegar through the system. Then use head treatment.

Andy, if there is some lingering odor from intermittent or past use, run a bunch of vinegar through the system. Then use head treatment.
Hi dcunnif, thank you! I've used vinegar before, and it worked pretty good. But I will take your advice and run a 'bunch'! of vinegar and hope that will solve it once and for all!

63F23B47-FDCC-4A11-95CE-901E0C390AF1.jpeg

If there are other boats around, put 4” of water in the above and hand it to whoever needs it and leave them be in the cabin. They can dump the contents over board & rinse the when the mission is completed.

If there are not other boats around, put 4” of water in the above and hand it to whoever needs it and leave them be in the cockpit. They can dump it overboard & rinse when the mission is completed.

For extra comfort, slice 1/2 way through a swimming “noodle” lengthwise then cut a piece of noodle equaling the circumference of the bucket and fit it around the rim to provide a padded rim.

Unnecessary but a nice finishing touch and helps females over the psychological ”hump” of utilizing such “rustic” lavatory facilities.

Parker Pilot House Boats are big little boats but unless you own a 34, not big enough for a head......

Last edited:
Back