Front Bilge Pump Problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck fluke

Reaction score
Went down to my 2120 Parker 2003 and when i turn the two battery on i notice some smoke in cabin. Found out that the front bilge pump or float switch wire was hot.
I cut that wire and everything was good. Rear pump works and boat runs fine. Think front pump may have a short? Also how are the wires ran two that front pump I can not see where they come up from? Any help would be great.

Chuck

Need a bit more information here.

Where was the smoke coming from? Pump, wire, or float switch? Is anything visibly burnt up or melted?

How long after you turned the battery on did you notice the smoke?

When you say you "cut that wire and everything was good". What does "everything was good" mean? The problem stopped, the wire looked fine, etc.?

Was anything switched on? Did you hear anything running at the time? Did any fuses or breakers trip?

Personally, I would be very concerned that you managed to smoke something without the circuit protection, either a fuse or a breaker, kicking in. Definitely something you need to check.

It sounds like either you have a short (check the wiring for abraded spots or other damage) or you burned up the pump, possibly due to the float switch failing closed. Either way you need to figure out why the circuit protection didn't cut power to the circuit before it got hot to the touch and started smoking. That's a major fire hazard you have on your hands.

Chuck,
I have a 2004 2120 and didn't realize there was a front bilge pump. Can you tell me how you get to the pump?

Arm chair quarterbacking......cause I can't physically see it...... Float switch is Stuck in the UP position......I suspect the pump is either worn out......Or has trash jambed in the impeller causing it to drag or lock up......Access to the pump is thru a piehole in the deck.

Arm chair quarterbacking......cause I can't physically see it...... Float switch is Stuck in the UP position......I suspect the pump is either worn out......Or has trash jambed in the impeller causing it to drag or lock up......Access to the pump is thru a piehole in the deck.
I had a stuck float switch burn up the pump and wiring was awful with splices and two sets of wires, too . One was factory, the other was add on auto grade SAE wires. All replaced and took more time than I thought . Wire was replaced with a protected bilge pump wire run. Good luck. So glad every wire was checked and all poor wires and stuff removed and if needed, the wires were correct. Today I appreciate people who do it right on my boat. Now I need my wife healthy with a fishing pole in her hands. I am buying her a new rod and Daiwa reel.

I’m with Chuck. I have a 2013 2120 SC and am not aware of any front bilge pump. Is there one I am not aware of or did Parker stop putting a front bilge pump in?

I’m wondering if he has 2 bilge pumps under the rear hatch and is calling on of them the forward pump. My 2003 2120 SC only has bilge pump under rear hatch.

LOL.....You could be right.....I figured someone would know the difference between pumps in the Rear bilge and a pump way forward in the bilge.....But then.....maybe not?

Chuck,
I have a 2004 2120 and didn't realize there was a front bilge pump. Can you tell me how you get to the pump?
Hi Yes I have a pump in the cabin area under the plate and I have a bilge pump in the rear of the boat. They were in there when I got the boat used. I had a bad float switch, going to buy new pump and switch.

LOL.....You could be right.....I figured someone would know the difference between pumps in the Rear bilge and a pump way forward in the bilge.....But then.....maybe not?
Yes I have two bilge pumps one in the cabin area and on in the rear stern area.

I’ve seen one plumbed like that. Does the forward pump cycle often? I’m guessing this boat remained in the water a good bit of time with the previous owner?

The foward float switch would stick sometimes in the one I had......Clean it and hand cycle it once in a while.

Hi Yes I have a pump in the cabin area under the plate and I have a bilge pump in the rear of the boat. They were in there when I got the boat used. I had a bad float switch, going to buy new pump and switch.

Check that circuit protection while you're installing... The fuse/breaker is supposed to blow/trip before the magic smoke comes out of the wiring or appliance. The fact that yours didn't is a concern.

Back