fuel drip from air release hose?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBurbage

Reaction score
When I fuel up my 2530 and get over 3/4 full, I get a small fuel drip from the air relief hose into the water. I finally realized that it was because the boat heeled slightly from my weight on the filler side, causing a low point in the hose into which gas settled. The temporary fix is to stop fueling for a moment and walk to the other side to let the fuel run back into the tank. But this is a real bother since it keeps happening.
Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have a solution?

Hard to say without seeing how your vent hose is configured.

My 1996 model 2520 has a 'weather loop' where the vent line goes all the way up to the washboard base, then curves 90 degrees down where it connects to the Perko vent. The weather loop gives the vent line the maximum height off the fuel tank to mimimuze puking while fueling. It also serves to keep water from entering the vent and going down into the tank.

Some people have had success using a Racor LG100 Fuel/Air Separator to eliminate puking...
http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_ ... r_sep.html

fas_fltr.gif

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Megabyte!
Mine is configured the same as yours, with the weather loop. It surprises me that the escaping air can force the fuel up the loop and over the top to the outside fitting, but it does. I guess the fuel/air separator would have to be placed on the rising side or further upstream to be effective, right?

DBurbage":1tdcj5x6 said:
I guess the fuel/air separator would have to be placed on the rising side or further upstream to be effective, right?

It might be best to see if Racor has an installation guide with their recommended installation... but I don't believe you have to mount it high. I believe that anywhere between the deck and the highest point is OK.

As I understand it, the canister acts as a extra air space to 'absorb' the slug of fuel before it has a chance to be puked up... and out the vent, by a fuel bubble.

That's the theory as I understand it.
I was considering one for my boat, but so far (knock on wood), puking of fuel has not been a problem for me (yet). :)

Megabyte":2my2ttb3 said:
As I understand it, the canister acts as a extra air space to 'absorb' the slug of fuel before it has a chance to be puked up... and out the vent, by a fuel bubble.
It actually has a special design of baffles intended to allow "air" to pass through, but one that will trap/contain "fuel" droplets, which then drip back down to the tank.

According to the test in your link, the LG100 works much better than the smaller LG50.

RACOR FUEL/AIR SEPARATOR for GAS OR DIESEL (Model #LG100; retails for $109.99) At first, we balked at the size of the LG100 (about the size of an oblong grapefruit). It was the largest of the units tested and we had just enough clearance to install it. But once installed, it worked each and every time on our mock-up and our loaner boat. When the tank became full, it allowed the automatic shut-off on the nozzle to disengage in plenty of time without venting fuel over the side or causing backsplash from the deck fill—with not one spill! We feel that because of its large size, it acted like a reservoir, allowing for additional room for fuel expansion. The larger size of this unit also provided the opportunity for fuel to settle before returning it to the tank and giving the nozzle time to click off. It works well with either gasoline or diesel and was the only product in our testing line up that could be taken apart if necessary. For these reasons, the Racor LG100 was the STAFF PICK for Foundation Findings #40. It can be ordered through BoatU.S. and West Marine stores, internet and catalog sales.

Back