Fuel Filter Mount

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to change this fuel filter mount to the stainless steel. Anyone know if these are thru-bolts or lag-bolts? There is no access to the other side of the stringer.

Attachments

• fuelfilter.jpg
    fuelfilter.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Well, if no one gives you an answer, turn one and see what happens. If it is a lag it will come out. If it does not come out you will have a bit of a job to cut those bolts if they are stainless. if you do have to cut I suggest that you do so while hoses are connected. Any fuel and a spark may not be a happy outcome.

Well....Then it's probably lag bolts....But by the time you started typing this thread.....I would of had a socket on it and been turning it... LOL

I have to ask why your changing it out? It's not the outside that matters. It's the inside.

Probably wants a shiney one. Mine looks worse but I cant see it when the bilge hatch is closed.
Mine looked bad too. I sanded/cleaned it, then painted it. But I WILL do what Baker is doing; replacing it with a S/S one, when I get around to it... ☺
I'd really like to replace the entire filter with a 'clear-bowl' Racor like I had in my previous boats, but have seen that it's not recommended, where it is presently installed...

A couple weeks ago I pulled mine out while doing some work in the bilge, they are lag screws.

OK.....Here is why not to paint and buy a stainless unit.

Origin ally they were Powdercoated. Thats Great if you never mount it.

We all know that can't happen.

These units are either mounted with Lag bolts or thru bolted....and with Stainless fasteners..... So now we have 2 disimmler metals.....alum and stainless.
When it was mounted...The stainless fastener chipped off the powdercoating and now is making contact.

So you see....Painting it will have the same results....In 3 yrs it will look like Crap......In 10yrs the Stainless will look the same as the day you installed it.

The fact that 2 dissimilar metals are making contact is irrelevant in this context (assuming that you are alluding to electrolysis) since there is no saltwater flow across/through the fuel filter and as such, no electrical current developed.

The fact that 2 dissimilar metals are making contact is irrelevant in this context (assuming that you are alluding to electrolysis) since there is no saltwater flow across/through the fuel filter and as such, no electrical current developed.
It's galvanic corrosion, not electrolysis. :)

Warthog - doesn't the filter itself create a dissimilar metal situation? Or does the gasket provide the proper separation and it doesn't touch...hmmmm

It's galvanic corrosion, not electrolysis. :)

Warthog - doesn't the filter itself create a dissimilar metal situation? Or does the gasket provide the proper separation and it doesn't touch...hmmmm

Regardless if you call it electrolysis or galvanic corrosion (the process that eats away less noble metals in the presence of saltwater), neither process is occurring in the scenerio being discussed in this thread ....... ie, when a SS fastener is attaching an aluminum fuel filter housing to the bulkhead or stringer of a boat since neither metal is subjected to a stray electrical current not subjected to an electrolyte.

https://www.boataccessoriesaustrali...ence-between-electrolysis-and-galvanic-corro/

When you change the filter you will need to crimp the hoses or as I did, install a butterfly valve to shut the fuel flow off.

Back